On kill effects and reflect

By "on kill effects" I'm refering to Life/ES/Mana on kill. Assuming I'm not oneshotting myself against a single monster, can these mods (Mana on kill only in combination with MoM) potentially safe me from a reflect death (similiar to instant leech and Life on Hit)?

Anyone got experience with that? Pretty hard to test. :\
You obviously get the effect after killing enemies so it would be skill dependent. Something like freezepulse would kill the reflect enemies in a sequence which can potentially save you. That is assuming you onehit the enemies in that instance.

Something like flameblast kills all enemies at once so it would not save you in cases where you onehit yourself.
I meant something like Flameblast, and with Vaal Pact or Life on Hit (on attacks) this safes you from reflect without having to kill in a sequence, it's fine to kill all at once with instant life gain mechanics.
Assuming I use Vaal Pact and oneshot a pack of reflect enemies with myself being at full health at the start, the game processes this one by one.

The question is, do on kill effects work in the same way.
Bump, if nobody knows I'm also open for ideas how to properly test it myself. :)
To test it properly you'll have to die.

Put on life on kill items - flameblast a pack on reflect map - survive.
Put off life on kill items - flameblast a pack on reflect map - die.

Take off resist items if not dying.
Last edited by SunnyRay on Sep 18, 2014, 11:19:52 AM
No, the chain of events would go as follows if you were using flameblast or discharge.

1) You charge up flameblast to ten charges
2) You realize that you've charged onto a reflect elemental pack
3) You pop a ruby flask and pray to god
4) You crit (uh oh) and 1 hit the entire pack
5) You have vaal pact, but you've already taken the entire set of damage instantly (now, if you had all the + max fire res items + ruby flask you might be able to take all of that damage)
6) If you're life pool + mana pool (if you have mind over matter) can take all that damage, you will instantly gain all of the life back assuming you have vaal pact
7) But chances are, you will not have enough life to tank the hit, and you will be dead.

Many, MANY times I've killed myself doing this, and you will always take the damage first all at once before you get any of the leech back (vaal pact or not)

Edit: This wouldn't be as painful for me if I played on softcore, and holy cow is it upsetting to 1 shot yourself.
Last edited by JaJudgement on Sep 18, 2014, 11:58:19 AM
a better option might be the 3% of damage taken gained as mana passive if you are talking about not getting pegged at 0 mana and no protection from MOM in reflect maps. The mind spiral unique also has the stat at 6%. The on kill wont be as reliable as you can potentially severely hurt yourself while not killing the mob, assuming it works as discussed at all :p .
Hey...is this thing on?
Last edited by LostForm on Sep 18, 2014, 1:37:05 PM
"
JaJudgement wrote:
No, the chain of events would go as follows if you were using flameblast or discharge.

1) You charge up flameblast to ten charges
2) You realize that you've charged onto a reflect elemental pack
3) You pop a ruby flask and pray to god
4) You crit (uh oh) and 1 hit the entire pack
5) You have vaal pact, but you've already taken the entire set of damage instantly (now, if you had all the + max fire res items + ruby flask you might be able to take all of that damage)
6) If you're life pool + mana pool (if you have mind over matter) can take all that damage, you will instantly gain all of the life back assuming you have vaal pact
7) But chances are, you will not have enough life to tank the hit, and you will be dead.

Many, MANY times I've killed myself doing this, and you will always take the damage first all at once before you get any of the leech back (vaal pact or not)

Edit: This wouldn't be as painful for me if I played on softcore, and holy cow is it upsetting to 1 shot yourself.

Your fifth point isn't correct. You don't take all the reflected damage at once, but in a [leech --> take reflect damage --> next enemey]-order (actually I'm not 100% sure, might be [take reflect damage --> leech --> next enemy]), which is why Vaal Pact can save you from most reflect deaths. Your EHP pool has only be able to catch reflect damage from one enemy, before more damage is dealt you leech life.

Guess I'll do the testing myself, should be possible with life or mana on kill while being on a no regen map. Will report back if I get a clear result, but won't be testing it too soon.
"
Your fifth point isn't correct. You don't take all the reflected damage at once, but in a [leech --> take reflect damage --> next enemey]-order (actually I'm not 100% sure, might be [take reflect damage --> leech --> next enemy]), which is why Vaal Pact can save you from most reflect deaths. Your EHP pool has only be able to catch reflect damage from one enemy, before more damage is dealt you leech life.

Guess I'll do the testing myself, should be possible with life or mana on kill while being on a no regen map. Will report back if I get a clear result, but won't be testing it too soon.

I think I see what you're trying to say, and if it were any other attack (other than flameblast or discharge) that would be the case but with both of these spells, all of the enemies are hit at the exact same time, and not in succession so you would take all of the damage as if you hit one enemy with ele reflect compared to the entire pack with ele reflect. You're welcome to test this as well but I know from many personal experiences with this :)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info