The sad state that is Armor

"
Peterlerock wrote:
"
B34C0N wrote:

A: Devs already must have tested dmg vs armor/life-regen. I would bet it.

They did, ofc.

It was a conscious design decision to make armor work greatly against small hits, but not so great against bigger hits.
That's how the formula works, and that's how it's supposed to work.
There's a quote with "armor will help when being hit by needles, but not when run over by a truck" by one of the designers, and he is kinda right.

Trucks hit like trucks and need to be felt like trucks, otherwise, they wouldn't be trucks? - Fair enough.

So.. your point is..? Let us be enough tanky to get hit by the trucks? i get hit by trucks and survive. The problem i see, is when you pair up 2 trucks or more in the same area and you aggro both. Or a health-regen-teleport tanky-truck with minions. But the most probable answer would be: 1.get the hell out of there and 2.party up. Also, always run around with portals they're free and life saviours.

Edit: if your point was: "melee chars have a disadvantage cause when you attack the truck you risk yourself more than the other classes (truck surrounded by minions, or paired up with other truck. i.e. beyond league)". - Then yes, Melee-single-target char-builds have a terrible defense disadvantage due to "gameplay performance not stats".
Last edited by B34C0N on Oct 10, 2014, 4:52:30 AM
"
B34C0N wrote:

So.. your point is..? Let us be enough tanky to get hit by the trucks?

Point is:
If the game designers do not want armor to be a valuable stat against single large hits, then you can qq all day, they will not change the way this mechanic works.

Instead of trying "to make it work", dodge those attacks or build up other defenses.

Armor is not in a "sad state", armor is "working as intended".
This may not be very satisfying for some players, but it's not like they couln't have known it beforehand.
3.5 build: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2299519
"
Peterlerock wrote:
"
B34C0N wrote:

So.. your point is..? Let us be enough tanky to get hit by the trucks?

Point is:
If the game designers do not want armor to be a valuable stat against single large hits, then you can qq all day, they will not change the way this mechanic works.

Instead of trying "to make it work", dodge those attacks or build up other defenses.

Armor is not in a "sad state", armor is "working as intended".
This may not be very satisfying for some players, but it's not like they couln't have known it beforehand.

oh ok ok ok. Now i see the point. "Not satisfying for some players (due to builds or gameplay i guess - fair enough)" but, "working as intended (Devs side - Fair enough)". True True.

Solution?

We would have to ask IF the solution (in the head of the Devs) was to pair up several types or give/distribute exclusive roles when party up (i.e. Tank, support, dps, dps. etc). Other than that i can't throw some light here (or at least in that kind of matter).

Last edited by B34C0N on Oct 10, 2014, 5:02:48 AM
"
Nurvus wrote:
I understand what you're saying, but it doesn't work (see below).
Furthermore, I don't understand why people insist on using passives to fix stuff.
1 - Gems and Passives are meant to add to gameplay - not work as "fixes" or sugarcoat poorly designed mechanics. Mechanics need to make sense on their own.

I do not agree. The passive tree is a huge part of the game and has to be taken into account when discussing something. If a player invested highly in armour nodes, then that player would get a much better overall resistance to elements. If that same player hardly invested anything in armour, then he/she wouldn't have a much better resistance to elements, because he/she doesn't really want a high defence.

"
Nurvus wrote:
2 - Anyone could grab those +X% max res nodes even if they don't use Armor... Again it doesn't do anything to change armor comparing to other types of defense.

If a build happened to be insanely close to armour nodes (which is very unlikely), then it would have to spend 2 (it would rather have to be at least 3 for most nodes) to 4 passive points for each +X% max res without getting anything else from it (that's not a very good deal). More realistically, it might get one or two at a reasonable investment, and have to spend too much for any other node. Armour would still have a much better overall resistance to elements than other defences.

"
Nurvus wrote:
3 - What I'm suggesting is very straightforward and works in line with armor's current mechanics.
Knowing Armor works at X% efficiency vs elemental damage is no different from knowing that Energy Shield has a 6 second delay and takes 3 seconds to fill from 0% to 100%, or understanding how Entropy works.

We are getting back to the issues from armour (super-protection against low amounts of damage, and too weak a protection against the hits that cause problems), with an extra problem coming from Granite Flasks (if you have to add a significant drawback to the flask, then chances are, you're doing something wrong).

"
Nurvus wrote:
4 - It's not just elemental damage, as Armor suffers against high physical hits, usually because they're crits.
While it's okay to make armor less effective than Evasion vs high hits, crits just crap on armor way too hard.
Armor needs to suffer less against crits.

I have already stated my opinion about this. I think the issue comes from using the wrong variable to evaluate armour efficiency (it should be monster level rather than damage).

"
Nurvus wrote:
5 - there's no reason for Armor to be the ONLY defense type that has ZERO effectiveness against elemental damage.

You are, in my opinion, looking at it from the wrong angle. Armour builds shouldn't be specifically weak against elemental damage. This doesn't mean armour should necessarily have an effect on elemental damage in any way.
"
B34C0N wrote:
Im not being a troll, im just saying Armor is not the root of the problem. It's a personal opinion of how i feel the game while i play it.

why not? (you may ask)

A: Devs already must have tested dmg vs armor/life-regen. I would bet it. They just don't realease stuff like: "hm..im..in the mood of.. 12*A vs/per 1*dmg.. yeah..im a genius, that should suffice". No, i bet they roll some tests first to see if they missed something.

I would agree some mobs hit pretty hard if you are just rolling a casual quantity of armor. Famous "gearcheck" phases. It's part of the game, take your time to farm and build up.

Except Armor doesn't work like that.

Evasion actually improves your survival relatively linearly.
So does Energy Shield.
Armor's mechanic, however, is tuned such that unless you have the best gear for your level, it greatly underperforms.
Furthermore, certain combinations of mods+mob+crit will melt you.
Furthermore, it has no effect on elemental damage.
The list goes on.
Armor is - to the core - broken.

Out of the 6 defense combos, full armor is the least likely to survive against any type of damage, specially elemental.
Forum Warrior - Why are you creating a thread about this subject? Use Search!
Also Forum Warrior - Nice necro.
Last edited by Nurvus on Oct 10, 2014, 6:32:40 AM
"
Nurvus wrote:
"
B34C0N wrote:
Im not being a troll, im just saying Armor is not the root of the problem. It's a personal opinion of how i feel the game while i play it.

why not? (you may ask)

A: Devs already must have tested dmg vs armor/life-regen. I would bet it. They just don't realease stuff like: "hm..im..in the mood of.. 12*A vs/per 1*dmg.. yeah..im a genius, that should suffice". No, i bet they roll some tests first to see if they missed something.

I would agree some mobs hit pretty hard if you are just rolling a casual quantity of armor. Famous "gearcheck" phases. It's part of the game, take your time to farm and build up.

Except Armor doesn't work like that.

Evasion actually improves your survival relatively linearly.
So does Energy Shield.
Armor's mechanic, however, is tuned such that unless you have the best gear for your level, it greatly underperforms.
Furthermore, certain combinations of mods+mob+crit will melt you.
Furthermore, it has no effect on elemental damage.
The list goes on.
Armor is - to the core - broken.

Out of the 6 defense combos, full armor is the least likely to survive against any type of damage, specially elemental.

Evasion - Lineal - works randomly - i agree.
ES - Lineal - act as extra health too - penalty? time - i agree.
Armor - Tuned ok if you best affix it to certain degree for performance and only then becomes viable - Hard work, craftmanship, luck - i agree.
Armor - underperforms - if not in level, if not affixed properly - You answered yourself - i agree.
Mobs+mods+uniques - melt you down - even still if you have a good degree of armour - i disagree: Mods, unique mobs, etc. are meant to be defeated while parting. Dont go blame it all on armour itself, yes, you might die if you try to solo it with "certain level of armor". But since armor is flat-flat (how to explain it.. hmm) its a non scaling defense. Its not a "true armor" (it does not scales properly [in the meaning of items here and there] with content UNLESS - you go full-best-gear-level all sets - i.e. headslot, gauntlets, etc). Armor degree and flawed armor (as you state) are two different things. Don't mix them. Working as intended.

The only flaw i see (while i play): white drops for craftmanship...under-levled. But a lot under leveled, and mostly, with a lot things that gotta be "fixed" during the craft, meaning, even if you craft it properly, you still might be under the armor level for the next map. I would agree here if this is what you want to get to.
"
B34C0N wrote:
Evasion - Lineal - works randomly - i agree.

Actually it doesn't, or rather it does only partially work randomly (as long as you are attacked before the six second reseeding, there's no randomness involved).
Crazy Idea:

Iron Reflexes
Your % Evasion becomes % Physical damage reduction ...

So, now instead of evasion becoming flat armor, it becomes % physical damage reduction.
Bad idea. It infringes on Armour's domain.
"
Bad idea. It infringes on Armour's domain.

Iron reflexes currently turns evasion into armor. The intention would be for this be used in conjunction with armor... ( but instead you could have it be 50% to armor and 50% to phys % reduction or otherwise modify it...)

But in general, I'd just like to see armor split into 50% flat reduction and 50% percent reduction, anyway, and then Iron reflexes could be left alone.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info