Why is Vitality such a end-game summoner aura?

So I'm lvl 53 now, summoner (templar).

After checking around, I felt a bit weird about running vitality when my minions already have 2% base regen.

I mean I know I know, with all the aura buffs + end-game minion hp vitality gives aproxy 3%+ regen which is loads for minions.

But that's my point: Why is vitality so... Useless, for anyone but summoners with aura-buffs?

For those 40% (even with reduction) most other auras do major amounts more for anyone but a summoner. I mean just running a dedicated resistance aura, giving 1-4% max resistance more is HUGE in endgame where you'd rather not be one-shotted than "oh wow 3% liferegen, only takes 30 seconds to fully heal myself...".
Useful for Righteous Fire builds too
Designer of The Broken Crown
Designer of The Sigil Divination Card
https://www.reddit.com/user/ThisIsABuff/
Actually it is useful for most builds that don't already have a lot of regen-nodes. However the thing is, what would you sacrifice for it?

One of the chars that could use it would be a ranger that relies on Evasion and has a good HP-Pool. Rangers don't have good access to HP-reg so it would be beneficial. However Vitality reserves 40%. A must have for such chars is Hatred and Herald of Ash. That means with a 21 reduced mana 60% of your mana-pool is already gone. If you have to choose between Vitality or Purity of Elements the later always wins because it frees up resistances on items. And if you have perfect gear you might still prefer Herald of Ice over Vitality.

So Vitality simply loses against other options or is just chosen by chars who can run so many Auras that there is no reason to not run Vitality.
with the snapshotting removed, summoner cant afford many auras.
I myself only run Haste and Purity of Elements. and that leave just enough mana for other skills - Arc, Convo, Offerings, Spelletons
There used to be no regen or leech on the skilltree for summons so everyone used vitality/regen totem. That's no longer necessary at all. Huge buff to flasks also greatly helped healing up summons.
Last edited by kasub on Sep 15, 2014, 5:07:08 AM
"
kasub wrote:
There used to be no regen or leech on the skilltree for summons so everyone used vitality/regen totem. That's no longer necessary at all. Huge buff to flasks also greatly helped healing up summons.

I know. But that still doesn't answer my question: Why is vitality nearly only viable for high-end summoners?

"
cryptc wrote:
Useful for Righteous Fire builds too

I don't know how much that is the case in Hardcore. Even so, you'd have to spend a lot of passives in aura stats to make the 40% reservation worth the 1-3% regen. Especially in consideration to the many regen-nodes on the passive tree.

"
Emphasy wrote:
Actually it is useful for most builds that don't already have a lot of regen-nodes. However the thing is, what would you sacrifice for it?
So Vitality simply loses against other options or is just chosen by chars who can run so many Auras that there is no reason to not run Vitality.

This is my point, it's either for very high-end aura builds, or summoners, or niche'd softcore rightous fire.

And even then it's not really that good. The fact remains: Vitality is only truly ever "good"/"amazing" with a summoner. Nearly all others have other options that are just better or more effective. Not saying it isn't useful, just saying that there are much better and effective ways to min-max your hero.
Vitality isn't that good for a summoner either. If you are using Vitality, you are giving up far better auras, like Purity of Elements, Hatred, Haste, etc.
vitality was useful prior to the nerf of auras when you could reasonably run 4 auras on a life build without major problems.

and snapshotting could free up a few gem slots (summoners use alot of gems)

it was less that it was necessary and more that its was 40% and you weren't going to be fitting a 60% in.

that being said i cant really see 2.2% life regen with reasonable aura node usage worth it anymore.

this is a similar issue the rejuvenation totem has as it is too clunky for the meager benefits it can give.

though the totem is possibly in a worse spot since , it tops off around 170 life per second.

which is not much on 8k zombies and really wont do much to stop the huge damage late game.

but now you have 2 offering , convocation, desecrate and a curse to worry about already

and everyone seems to run purity and hatred at minimum now. most people then go for haste or drop purity and run mono element auras.

but it is much harder to justify leveling 2 reduced mana gems and eating extra slots now for just 2.2% life regen
Last edited by Saltychipmunk on Sep 15, 2014, 9:00:53 AM
"
Krehlmar wrote:

I know. But that still doesn't answer my question: Why is vitality nearly only viable for high-end summoners?

summons have a much higher life pool so that 2-3% is more noticeable, still a horrible aura even on sumoners. wish GGG would buff regen in general, life leech and life gain on hit far outclass it as a way to keep the player alive, i mean even dedicated regen builds will fail to keep you alive from a white mob pack.
self found league fan

http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/324242/page/1

And the extra boost from generosity, at least in my Summoner's case.

Anyway, if Vitality is best only on a summoner and on RF builds... is that really a problem? Hatred isn't great on an Elemental Buzzsaw either, and determination is pretty poor for a Sporker.
#1 rule of official forum boards of every video game ever: use the forums to relay info, gather suggestions, or the rare narrow-focused Poll; but NEVER as "feedback".

#2 rule: Never say the #1 rule in an official capacity. Let some guy on the forums say it, leaving yourself plausible deniability.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info