Luck and entropy

Have to get this off my mind.

Found an upgrade for my chest and crafted a bow, both were 3-socket originally. Wanted to get both 4-linked. 5-socketed the bow with 1 jeweller's, and it came out 4-linked. Ok, nice, no fusings used.

Then, 6-socketed the armour with 2 jeweller's, and it came out 4+2-linked. Amazing luck, as far as I'm concerned.

Immediatly after that I went to run some maps, and completely exhausted my map pool. In 20-30 map runs, only 2 66's dropped. Shit, back to piety runs, I guess...

Just wanted to put this out here to clear my mind a bit.

Share your stories of luck smiling on you, then completely screwing you over.
Finding unique maps with max rolls and then getting nothing but Alts from them ^^
I was thinking of trying a build I read about using my legacy Chin Sol (found a Divine Orb a while back and figured this could be a good use for it since the new version is much better.) Less than half an hour after reading the thread this dropped:

with four sockets, not fully linked. Since it is part of the build I figured this was a sign and I should go for it. I Divined my bow and got a low roll, but figured I could always try again when I get another Divine Orb.

My plan was to 5 socket the bow and a chest piece. Looking over my resources I figured I had a 60-80% chance of succeeding. I'm not sure how many Jewelers it took to get 6 sockets but it seemed like it was a fairly low number. Nine fusings later I have this:

The first fusing gave me a 4 and 2 link and I almost stopped at that, then I got the same result once more before the ninth fusing, which gave me my first 6 link ever!

Then entropy really kicked in. It took me around 90 fusings to 4 link the gloves; far more than I ever spent for this purpose.

Now I'm afraid to try to 5 link the chest. I will let some time pass before doing that.
"Sing while you may!" -Edward Ka-Spel
Last edited by tsalal on Sep 15, 2014, 5:49:44 AM
I've actually been mapping a fair bit this league (wow), mostly in tandem with a buddy of mine. Every time we run a 66-68 Map, both our inventories are filled with Rares, and we often have to return to pick up the rest. On 70+ Maps (which are almost always 20%Q), we can barely fill a single inventory. Every single time. Same gear, same characters, similar map mods.
"
tsalal wrote:

Then entropy really kicked in. It took me around 90 fusings to 4 link the gloves; far more than I ever spent for this purpose.

Whaaat?! Vorici does this with 5 fus fixed.
"
LaFeeVerte wrote:
"
tsalal wrote:

Yeah tell me about it. I don't have him leveled that high but reading about him is partly how I knew how messed up that was (also the odds of achieving my goals.) Entropy is real.
"
tsalal wrote:
"
LaFeeVerte wrote:
"
tsalal wrote:

Yeah tell me about it. I don't have him leveled that high but reading about him is partly how I knew how messed up that was (also the odds of achieving my goals.) Entropy is real.

The odds of you 6 linking the bow in 9 fusings and then spending 90 to 4 link the gloves must be simply astronomical. It's hard to force your brain not to believe there is some underlying entropy system when stuff like that occurs!
IGN: Mezzovoce
Shop: 958901
GMT (London)
"
Sotto_voce wrote:
The odds of you 6 linking the bow in 9 fusings and then spending 90 to 4 link the gloves must be simply astronomical. It's hard to force your brain not to believe there is some underlying entropy system when stuff like that occurs!

Yes I even quit 2/3 of the way through the 4 linking and finished it up the next day hoping to fix my luck. Something akin to the psuedo-RNG of Evasion, but stronger/stranger appears be at work here.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info