The weakest (and least used) gem in the game.

Edit 2015-01-07: Time to revisit this thread again and take a new look at the weakest and least used gems now that pvp is in the game. Is punishment still not being used? Is sweep collecting dust on the shelves without hegemony's staff? Is shield charge a useful skill in pvp? I imagine it should be. Chance to flee is in the same state but maybe useful for some.

Rest of post from September 2014 before pvp update.

Must be this:

I have never seen anyone use it. Ever. It seems like it could be useful for summoners but it works with physical damage only.

Thoughts?

I think it should work with all 3 damage types. Chaos and elemental too. Then it could be useful for summoners or even multiplayer.

Let me know in this thread what gems you think are the weakest out of all. if any can surpass punishment in least usefullness.

Edit: Changed title from worst gem in the game to weakest gem in the game. Worst sounded so negative. Don't want negativity on the forums =) I don't create this thread to whinge. Only to discuss for fun and to learn new stuff

My top 3 of weakest and least used skills in the game:

1. Punishment
2. Sweep
3. Shield charge or chance to flee

Shock nova, elemental hit, portal, lightning trap and cast on death get a honourable mention.
Last edited by kompaniet on Jan 10, 2015, 12:46:56 AM

but it is true with punishment - it makes NO SENSE AT ALL to use it. tried it with summoner and DB char (and will try again with Animate Weapon char). but the dmg reflected is pathetic..
there was that selfcurse with punishment build few months ago

also searing bond used to be voted the worst before and that there cant be a useful build around it(they did buff it significantly though)
Ign: LavaMosse
TimeZone: GMT+2
"
kompaniet wrote:
Thoughts?

It's awful because mob health and player health don't scale at the same rate. The reflect needs to be buffed by about 10x to be useful as a result. 18% reflect kills players left and right. Even 50% reflect to a mob would barely be a visible tick on their health bar in a large party.
Only builds I've seen use it are self-curse molten shell or discharge.

It'd actually be somewhat useful if the reflect weren't based on damage dealt, but the damage of the enemy skill and whether it hit - nothing else. If you could reflect damage mitigated by armour, end charges, IC and blocking it'd be interesting. A huge difference would be if you could increase damage reflect with passives too, like global phys damage increases, or specific reflect modifiers.

Maybe give it the DD treatment of having base damage reflect as well as % based. Then a reflect build would be able to kill off all those tiny bugs and things that don't actually deal much damage.
IGN: Asser, AssDelver, Assphobic, AnointedAss, BetrayedByMyAss, CrackedAss, FracturedAss, FulcrumedUpMyAss, ImpaledAss, IncursionOfTheAss, WarForTheAss, UnleashTheAss, ScreamingAsshole, SwampAssKing, Yui
Last edited by Wooser69 on Sep 14, 2014, 12:26:10 PM
IMO, it's not used a lot because the dangerous physical foes in PoE are far better dealt with by reducing their outgoing damage with enfeeble.

It's fun watching swarms of white skeletons kill themselves on your character by simply cursing them though.
It's for Pvp you silly guys.

And with a dedicated reflect build it's OP as fuck in PvP. Just saying it's 1 of them gems that no 1 uses but when it becomes needed and more people Pvp it will probley get nurfed.
Just a sec let me grab a beer...@#*@ Ok how did I die this time

Learn the rules, it's the only way to exploit them.
It's actually decent in pvp and is used by self damaging cwdt builds.

Chance to flee however.. is quite useless even at making enemies flee.
I admit i did not take pvp into account here. If it works well there i stand corrected.

Edit: For pvm chance to flee is better than punishment imo.
Last edited by kompaniet on Sep 14, 2014, 12:38:27 PM
chance to flee, lol

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info