Problem with Physical builds.

So there's something I don't quite understand, and was hoping someone could clear up for me.

So you're building an attack build. You can go:

a) stacking elemental damage and auras, run Wep Ele support, and an elemental curse.

b) stack physical, use added fire, hatred, herald of ash... for a 100% of physical damage added as elemental. You then get Wep Ele support... and are once again playing an elemental build. At this stage, isn't elemental weakness better than vulnerability?

Why the hell is vulnerability a BLUE curse in the first place?

Why are there no real physical builds in this game? I mean, true physical builds - mostly due to socket combinations - Why aren't there more physical supports? The only TRUE physical support gems are currently increased melee physical, projectile physical attacks, and melee on full life. It's a bit disappointing when so many possibilities were possible: Physical Pen, bleed on hit... instead we have a mess where physical builds becoming pseudo-elemental.

Not really angry, just confused. I love the game regardless, and thank for it nearly on a daily basis, but yeah, it'd be nice if this were expanded on further.
Last edited by lucksickle on Sep 14, 2014, 7:02:25 AM
"
lucksickle wrote:

Why are there no real physical builds in this game? I mean, true physical builds - mostly due to socket combinations - Why aren't there more physical supports?

You can easily fill a 6L without any elemental gems.

Single Target Attack
+Melee physical damage
+faster attacks
+Multistrike
+Melee Splash
+Blood Magic/Melee Damage on full life/Blind/Culling/Stun/ECoMS/Crit Damage/PCoC...

AoE Attack
+Melee physical damage
+faster attacks
+Multistrike
+Concentrated Effect
+Blood Magic/Melee Damage on full life/...

Then you don't use Hatred/Herald of Ash, and instead go for Grace +2 Purities or Grace + Determination or whatever.

100% Physical build achieved.

It may not be optimal (against reflect, it is better to split your damage sources), but it can be done none the less.
3.5 build: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2299519
"
Peterlerock wrote:

It may not be optimal

Right.
While mixing in ele damage is, and your post is invalid.

OP is right lol
"
"
Peterlerock wrote:

It may not be optimal

Right.
While mixing in ele damage is, and your post is invalid.

Like... how?

If you want to limit yourself (iE "only deal physical damage"), you better deal with the fact that it's not 100% optimal.

My point is:
You can easily fill 6 Sockets with allout physical damage if you so desire.

You have the tools to do so, so I don't see OPs point.

Btw, I'd also consider Added Fire and Hatred physical support gems, as they scale with physical damage.
With the exception of aura-stacking elemental builds, pretty much every attacking build is using a high pDpS weapon.
3.5 build: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2299519
whats wrong with physical builds having some elemental damage too?

I personally prefer physical attack builds over elemental. No worries about enemy resists, no problems with mana thanks to mana leech from gear, easy life leech..
IGN: Eric_Lindros
CET: Timezone
Double post.
Last edited by lucksickle on Sep 14, 2014, 6:06:31 AM
"
Peterlerock wrote:
Then you don't use Hatred/Herald of Ash, and instead go for Grace +2 Purities or Grace + Determination or whatever.

But you're then doing piss-poor damage, missing out on 60% potential damage (difference between 20k and 32k damage)
Just go full physical, it's no big deal:
Then put added fire (39%), herald of ash (15%) and hatred (36%) on. So you have 90% added elemental damage to your physical attacks. Or in other words: 47% of your damage output will be elemental and 53% physical.
@Aelloon
"
Aelloon wrote:
Then put added fire (39%), herald of ash (15%) and hatred (36%) on. So you have 90% added elemental damage to your physical attacks. Or in other words: 47% of your damage output will be elemental and 53% physical.

But why stop there? Why not use Increased Weapon Elemental support? I believe many "physical" builds looked into incorporating it too?
"
lucksickle wrote:
"
Aelloon wrote:

But why stop there? Why not use Increased Weapon Elemental support? I believe many "physical" builds looked into incorporating it too?

And because of that it would also always be best to go with a physical conversion to elemental attack too.
@Aelloon

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info