Cast on Crit Questions

Hi there,

I've got some questions (maybe stupid) regarding many builds based on cast on crit.

- When using a bow, why use barrage instead of split arrow (or the other way around) ?
- Considering the 10ms cd on spells casted on crit, is it better to still put two copies or the same spell, or to replace one copy with an increased critical strike gem ?
- why do some people use Fireball + Arctic breath and Conc Effect over Fireball + Artcic breath + arc / ball lightning ?

Thanks for your answers
IGN : KC_Serra (among other chars)
Human behavior often does not imply a solid logical foundation.
For years i searched for deep truths. A thousand revelations. At the very edge...the ability to think itself dissolves away.Thinking in human language is the problem. Any separation from 'the whole truth' is incomplete.My incomplete concepts may add to your 'whole truth', accept it or think about it
1. it depends.. in general, barrage works well against single target
2. 10ms cooldown is there to avoid two copies of the same gem to proc at the same time. It is better to use some other spell (typically fireball + arcic breath on setups with gmp). having two copies would increase your chance to proc one, but youd lose the chance to proc both at the same time
3. it depends.. it may be better for their builds
IGN: Eric_Lindros
CET: Timezone
1. Can each proj of barrage crit separately ? If yes, than barrage is just a huge bonus in attack speed, and is always better than split arrow (without chain), since you can't hit one mob with two projs of split arrow
2. Yup : two copies increase the chances to proc one on crit. My point is I have the choice in my 6L between EK EK and EK +crit (my crit death cone is on another 6L). I'm not good enough in probabilities to compute my chances of proc at least one with the first or second combination.
3. Well, lightning ball and arc do damage, roughly the same as FB or AB (that is, 100% more dmg). And, on crit (which will most likely happen), they shock. I don't understand the point of Conc Effect.
IGN : KC_Serra (among other chars)
Last edited by Serrã on Sep 13, 2014, 6:47:04 PM
1. CoC procs from hits, but crit is rolled per action, not per hit. So if you roll a crit, all projectiles from one salvo are crits. But dont forget about accuracy because crit hit has to be confirmed by second accuracy vs evasion roll.

2. 3. etc

It all depends on build and situation

example: number of procs:

split + pierce would be best for huge groups
split + chain would be best for medium groups
barrage + chain would be best for small groups
barrage + gmp against single target

another question is how these support gems interact with spells you want to trigger..

there is not "this is best, period" in PoE.

General rule for CoC is that you want to make as many crit hits per second as possible. Your critchance should be 50% minimum without charges. Otherwise you will often gen long non-crit streaks
IGN: Eric_Lindros
CET: Timezone

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info