Shield Charge average damage calculation

Shield Charge has a damage bonus based on a charge distance, so how is average damage tooltip is calculated?
Is it calculated for 0, 50% or max charge distance?
Increasing Field of View in PoE: /1236921
For 0 range.
[3.22] 💀The Grim Reaper💀 - Hexblast Poison Mines Assassin
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3347191

[3.22] ❄️⚡CantripN's Hadoken! - Lightning Conduit / Crackling Lance / Arc Permafreeze⚡❄️
www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3229590
"
CantripN wrote:
For 0 range.

Is there any official statement that supports this? Would be useful to add to wiki.
can someone confirm this?
The tooltip is for sure just the base damage. The more damage based on range traveled is just an added bonus for the gem; kind of like how flame surge gains 50% more damage against burning enemies. But for the tooltip the game has no idea of how far you'll travel for an attack, especially how far you'd travel on average.

I don't know why you'd expect the tooltip to give you anything other than the base damage, since how far you travel will vary so dramatically that putting it in the tooltip calculation makes no sense. Now, I believe the attack time given for shield charge gives the amount of time the ending animation of shield charge takes. Of course, the speed at which you travel is also affected by this number, but I don't know the exact numbers for how.

Also, for reference, the "max distance" is basically the edge of the screen. (The shield charge thread said 65+ units. For reference, a level 1 curse has a diameter of 32 units.)

EDIT: There's an easy way to test this too. Simply look at the tooltip for your basic attack and compare to the tooltip of shield charge.

EDIT2: I did this myself and it displays the average damage dealt per hit. Note, this is per hit, so your attack time is not calculated into this number at all.

EDIT3: Shield charge end animation is NOT affected by attack speed or movement speed. I just compared regular shield charge, then linked it with multistrike and faster attacks and the time was the same.
@Moylin (Beyond)
Last edited by Avelice on Sep 13, 2014, 7:56:07 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info