Is there a reason Flask effect finishes at full resource?

I'm trying to think of a reason, other than "because it makes the game easier", for why Health/Mana/Hybrid Flask effects finish once the respective resource/s is/are full.

I understand not being able to use a Flask when the resource is full; as well as the fact that Diablo 2's potion effects finished at full resource. But because of the way that Flasks have been buffed, as well as the fact that the passive tree and items have many potential bonuses for Flask recovery speed, it's really hard to get the full effect of a Flask; especially Mana Flasks.

Most people will run at least one aura, thus lowering their maximum available Mana pool. I understand that having a huge Mana pool is a point in favour for potions, but PoE almost requires that you use auras. And since there are no other ways to run auras, other than reserving a percentage of your total Mana (or Life)(other than Clarity), there aren't any other options.

What is the reason Flask effects don't persist once that resource is full? Having an entire Belt slot taken up by a Mana Flask doesn't work very well when it's only restoring a couple hundred Mana...
1) Take long-time recovery flasks like 8 sec (HP, Hallowed flask) and 14 sec (MP, Sanctified)
2) Roll prefix "increased (slower) recovery time", pushing those to 12 and 19 seconds (or whatever the numbers)
3) Roll any "profitable" suffix like ele.resistances during effect or "increased armor\evasion (goes up to 100% incr.)"; "immunity to curses during effect" also good
4) Receive "super_buff" * 5 (19 sec*5 = almost 100 sec)

Still don't get why "effect ends on full hp\mp"? ^_^
Remember, suffering is convenient.
That is why many people prefer it.
Happiness requires effort.
Also recovery stop at full hp (mp) means your HP (MP) pool DOES REALLY MATTER there. Mana/HP regen is useless, if flasks can give much higher effects almost permanently.

To balance such stuff, non-instant flasks should recover MUCH less HP/MP. Having greatly reduced duration also, so it wont became a source of permanent buffs.
IGN: MortalKombat
Molten Strike build guide: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1346504

There is no knowledge
That is not power
Last edited by MortalKombat3 on Sep 13, 2014, 8:24:39 AM
Because ggg thought that nearly permanent 400-500+ life/second regen *might* be somewhat overpowered...
If you can't get the full flask effect that just means you are using the wrong flasks then.
As HarukaTeno mentioned, use long recovery time flasks.

"
Pliney wrote:
Because ggg thought that nearly permanent 400-500+ life/second regen *might* be somewhat overpowered...

No. You can easily get over 500 true permanent regen with some nodes. Or just by using Blood Dance Boots.

Increasing Field of View in PoE: /1236921
"
HarukaTeno wrote:
1) Take long-time recovery flasks like 8 sec (HP, Hallowed flask) and 14 sec (MP, Sanctified)
2) Roll prefix "increased (slower) recovery time", pushing those to 12 and 19 seconds (or whatever the numbers)
3) Roll any "profitable" suffix like ele.resistances during effect or "increased armor\evasion (goes up to 100% incr.)"; "immunity to curses during effect" also good
4) Receive "super_buff" * 5 (19 sec*5 = almost 100 sec)

Still don't get why "effect ends on full hp\mp"? ^_^

You could just do this anyway by using Blood Rage or RF to keep your HP low...

"
Pliney wrote:

My Regen Marauder has 580 per second at level 74, without a Rejuvenation Totem...

As for those who are saying using a long recovery time Flask... I do! But some of my characters are running much-needed auras to boost damage, so end up with say, 30 maximum mana. Even a lengthy recovery Flask will run out almost instantly.

I thought it'd be better if Flasks did not provide their effect at 100% resource, but still keep counting down the timer. So if you pop a Flask at 99/100 HP, you will gain the effect for the time it takes to regenerate 1 HP. Then it will stop providing all effects, but still be there as a "buff". And if you take damage in this time, it would kick back in again. That doesn't seem OP to me...
yes, you can have any of those bonuses, like 500+ regen or 250+ mana regen if you build for it.

But what you suggesting would give those for everyone and for free. It would be extremely broken and would require massive rebalancing of lot of things
IGN: Eric_Lindros
CET: Timezone
"
SponTen wrote:

You could just do this anyway by using Blood Rage or RF to keep your HP low...

In case if you didn't understand something...
OP wants the flask buff to work even if you're AT FULL HP & MP (and work for the full possible duration)
Basically, what he wants is "free" 100 seconds of overpowered buffs
Remember, suffering is convenient.
That is why many people prefer it.
Happiness requires effort.
Last edited by HarukaTeno on Sep 14, 2014, 5:57:16 AM
@Haruka

I find really funny that you explain to OP what OP wants :)
IGN: Eric_Lindros
CET: Timezone
Last edited by Ludvator on Sep 14, 2014, 6:07:26 AM
"
Ludvator wrote:
@Haruka

I find really funny that you explain to OP what OP wants :)

This.

"
Ludvator wrote:
yes, you can have any of those bonuses, like 500+ regen or 250+ mana regen if you build for it.

But what you suggesting would give those for everyone and for free. It would be extremely broken and would require massive rebalancing of lot of things

It's not "free". And you already get those bonuses anyway: I'm just suggesting they allow for low resource pools, mainly mana. How often do you see people running mana flasks late game? I never see it on build guides, streams, nor do I do it myself. It'd be considered a "wasted" flask spot.

The recent buff to life flasks was amazing and much-needed. I almost consider it a little OP, as yes, now everyone has access to 400+ regen per second.

But it's not an unlimited supply. Instead, it's based on your ability to keep killing lots of things (or crit a lot, for those builds). This is the balance behind it.

Maybe at least mana flasks should persist through full resource? Then they might actually see some use.
Extra
Of course it's going to be somewhat "OP" for certain builds. But anything can be considered OP for specific builds that take advantage of it, or are already really strong. You think those characters with 95% crit chance are SUDDENLY going to become OP if this change was made? They're already destroying everything in sight: as is intended for those people who can get to that level of godlike-ness.

Secondly, many builds already have ridiculous hp/mana regen. As I said, my Regen Marauder is sitting at 570 consistent HP regen. All his skills are linked to BM support gem. But he can still die, as my gear isn't great. Against the vast majority of mobs, I can just afk forever and he simply won't die. But that is why I built him that way.

Thirdly, if we're discussing things that are OP, how about creating a portal in the middle of a fight? This is allowed, and it fully replenishes all your resources and flasks. And yet, people still die.

I honestly don't think tweaking flasks to persist through full resource is going to be game-changing; more of a quality of life change for those who just cannot seem to get enough survivability or mana regen.
Last edited by SponTen on Sep 14, 2014, 7:18:59 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info