[Theory] Molten Strike CoC Flame Surge w/ max block **Feedback Needed**

I'm theorycrafting a Molten Strike CoC Flame Surge build. The idea being that the MS projectiles, on crit, will ignite enemies, and Flame Surge, being triggered on crit, will do 50% more damage to those ignited enemies.

I was thinking of dual-wielding Ungil's Gauche for the global crit and the chance to block. Maybe this is a bad idea b/c its base dps is so low (see question 2).

Here's my tree at this point:

The tree uses 113 points, which is too high. So my first question is: which nodes are inefficient and can be dropped from the tree?

My second question is: is there a better approach than dual-wielding Ungil's? Maybe Doryani's Catalyst + shield (but I'd lose a lot of crit)? Maybe dual-wielding the new Mark of the Doubting Knight daggers (but I'd lose a lot of block)?

Thanks for your help.
In terms of dropping points..I would probably just drop the 3 points you have going toward the Duelist wheel. The AS and Phys Damage. You're damage wont be the issue with this build. Neither will attack speed because i'd imagine you'd use multi-strike.

As I was writing this though, I realized..Are you going to even be using multistrike? (I think it's huge for crit builds). I say this because I was thinking of your main gem setup. What do you plan on using? Hard to imagine any good ones without a 6L. Ungil's works just fine because you're not really looking for ridiculously high physical damage. Just the crit's to proc flame surge. Also I think its obvious that you'd use a HoA with ele prolif and inc burning as it works into your build actually flawlessly. Idk how good it is without actual +burning damage nodes.

Overall the tree looking great. I'm a firm believer in the only way to find out though is to just try it and tweak it as you go.
Last edited by LithiumWeezy on Sep 12, 2014, 2:54:44 PM
Thanks a lot for your feedback. Yeah, those 3 Duelist nodes are good to eliminate.

You're right on about Herald of Ash. I was also planning to run Grace off mana and Clarity off health. And, you're right about multistrike too. I was thinking the main gems would look something like:
Molten Strike + Multistrike + Cast on Crit + Flame Surge + Conc. Effect + Fire Pen
Clarity BM? Idk..Defensively you're VERY tanky. You have, or should have, max block with ungil's and on top of that IR. with 160%? health. So defensively you're there. Damage wise I think you're there as well..you might be right though in terms of low phys with ungil's now that I think about it. I don't know how well MS scales with physical damage vs fire damage. But even so with AoF, I don't think that will matter too much.

I think your stuck with right now, deciding between Dual Wielding, Doryani's/shield, Or even Dagger/shield. If you care for my opinion. I'd say go with dagger shield only because you don't need max block if you have a shield anyway. :P (You're already tanky enough with IR/shield)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info