[1.2] CoC QR/Doomfletch - No Voll's/Thief's Torment (Concept)

I sort of did this out of a proof of concept because I had been wanting to do another Quill Rain CoC character since I accidentally died and deleted my old one from Nemesis.

The basis for the CoC Quill Rain build came from Wurpo's thread, to which I built my first character off of.
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/569488

If you're familiar with it, you'll know that it's primarily based around a few specific elements:
5-6L Quill Rain
5-6L Voll's Protector (primary function of generating Power Charges for Cold Snap)
Thief's Torment

When I had run the build the first time, I only had a 5L Quill Rain, so it wasn't nearly as effective. However, it was before the CoC gem nerf and subsequent rebalancing of a few spells.

================

Currently, I only have Tabula Rasa for a 6L, which is somewhat ideal since it's not a pricey 6L. At the moment, I use the sixth slot for Faster Attacks or Increased Critical Strikes, though I tend to lean towards the former. The goal of this build is to stack Elreon's items to bring your mana cost to 0, preventing you from having to use more expensive alternatives. Arguably, this is less effective, but you could do away with Voll's Protector in the typical build and drop Cold Snap, if you preferred.

Pros:
-0 mana cost of skills
-No mana flasks necessary
-Potential for more stats from rings
-Cheaper
-Surgeon's Flasks, of course

Cons:
-Lightning Arrow is too expensive to use with stacked auras/no mana flasks(/or LMP?)
-No Cold Snap (not a huge detriment, honestly)
-Without a 5-6L'd bow, you're forced into using Barrage for versatility (weakens AoE clearing)
-Effectiveness varies at low levels.
-Elreon's items are magic, and therefore, not a direct boon over Thief's Torment

Required Items:
3x Elereon's accessories (Reduced Mana cost of skills--Currently using 8-7-7)
Quill Rain or Doomfletch*
Tabula Rasa (or 5L)

Why Barrage?
--Barrage unloads 4 arrows with each use, spreads slightly, and is quick. When using Quill Rain, I often switch between Split Arrow + Chain and Barrage + GMP, depending on what I'm doing, but most times I stick to Barrage because it's effective in AoE, where Split Arrow isn't against single-target. The difference in effectiveness isn't drastic unless you're solely fighting packs. In party play, versus constant packs, I prefer Split Arrow sometimes, but Barrage will still function fine.

Why Doomfletch?
--A perfect Doomfletch will only cost you 1 Chaos. And it's worth it. This bow caps at a 1.6 attack speed and 7% critical strike. Obviously, this is far from the peak for bows, but for a CoC bow these stats are fantastic for the level and price. Quill Rain has only the base 5% crit chance, so this bow is a very good, if not better alternative. The drawback is, of course, the speed. Doomfletch is much slower and I don't use it with Split Arrow at all. However, it's great with Barrage.

Here's a demonstration video of me doing some underleveled farming in Merciless Fellshrine Ruins with a couple setups. I'm squishy because I've taken almost exclusively all crit/attack speed nodes for testing the effectiveness. However, I'm sure this build can be made viable in hardcore with proper gear and a greater emphasis on defensive based nodes early on. (In the video, I have next to nothing for resistances, life nodes, and evasion/armor.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEIZVP5lQ_s

Forgive the custom low graphics. I was worried recording and the heavy effects would break me, but I guess not. Also, lol death for being dumb and hugging a Storm Herald with no lightning resist.

I'm going to try and make myself a +1 arrow Quill Rain and see how that goes, but it'll probably be a while. I'm currently focusing on building up my defenses. In the video, I'm using Maligaro's, Rat's Nest, Tabula Rasa, and Sundance (for attack speed). I used a max crit Shadows and Dust while leveling.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info