Why do people say "let everyone have their own beliefs"?

Isn't there a truth despite what anyone else believes?

Isn't letting people believe what they want how we get groups like ISIS?

Are people really that content forming their own opinions based on what other people tell them and manifest that they can't seek out the truth for themselves?

Do people believe they've already found the truth?

If they believe they have the truth, isn't it powerful enough to single handedly change the world? Shouldn't truth be the reason we exist? Shouldn't love be the truth?

They that are willing to do anything for truth will find it, those that live for themselves will find the void.
"
arpgfan wrote:

No.
"
DustyFill_In wrote:
"
arpgfan wrote:

No.

A red apple is still red whether you believe it's red or not.
But what is "red"? Just because we both agree something is red does not mean that our eyes perceive it in exactly the same shade.

I hate to admit it, but MoonYu's right.

For once.
Spoiler
Probably never again.
"
Sharpflame wrote:
But what is "red"? Just because we both agree something is red does not mean that our eyes perceive it in exactly the same shade.

For once.
Spoiler
Probably never again.

Im wretch,not moon
"
Sharpflame wrote:

For once.
Spoiler
Probably never again.

I should have said; I exist whether anyone believes I do or not.
You can't prevent people from believing what they want. Unless you want to kill them.
GGG banning all political discussion shortly after getting acquired by China is a weird coincidence.
I prefer a more old school approach to the question.

Spoiler
I think....
Spoiler
Therefore you suck.

Spoiler
Fucking mosquito buzzing in my ear at 1am! *rabble rabble*
"

Because not allowing people to have their own beliefs would be fascist by definition, and the "people" you refer to generally see fascism as a greater evil than freedom of religion.

Edit: I think a better question would be "should we be tolerant to intolerant belief systems", or "is being tolerant towards intolerance a sign of tolerance or intolerance?". I don't have the answers to that, but it is something I give a lot of thought to.
Last edited by MonstaMunch on Sep 10, 2014, 4:23:30 AM
"
MonstaMunch wrote:
"

Because not allowing people to have their own beliefs would be fascist by definition, and the "people" you refer to generally see fascism as a greater evil than freedom of religion.

I guess it then becomes a question of what true evil really is?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info