attack speed nodes in start are useless

"
shadowraiden wrote:
i actually was doing some testing of my dps comparing the 30% phys damage u get from top route or the 12% attack speed.

i essentially found that in my build the 12% attack speed equated to a 4-5k dps increase on my setup while the 30% was only around 3k more phys damage.

im a physical groundslammer using hatred and herald of ash.

so to say the nodes are actually useless is false and clearly shows you didnt actually do real testing.

tbh in my setup and build even if the dps had been a slight drop overall i would of gone with the attack speed still as i use vaal pact and so prefer to do many hits as fast as possible to keep leeching instead of one giant hit that leeches over time.

Yeah, that's reasonable, but...
"
pedro2907 wrote:
If you are a marauder, start HP. EVER !

And i agree on that
IGN: MortalKombat
Molten Strike build guide: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1346504

There is no knowledge
That is not power
"
Resilient wrote:
I went with the life path, but if I were to go more DPS with my AoF molten strike, I would almost certainly take the added attack speed over melee physical because melee physical does not apply to the projectiles from molten strike.

I am using Molten Strike. Good point on the projectiles.

"
shadowraiden wrote:
i actually was doing some testing of my dps comparing the 30% phys damage u get from top route or the 12% attack speed.

i essentially found that in my build the 12% attack speed equated to a 4-5k dps increase on my setup while the 30% was only around 3k more phys damage.

im a physical groundslammer using hatred and herald of ash.

so to say the nodes are actually useless is false and clearly shows you didnt actually do real testing.

tbh in my setup and build even if the dps had been a slight drop overall i would of gone with the attack speed still as i use vaal pact and so prefer to do many hits as fast as possible to keep leeching instead of one giant hit that leeches over time.

Yes, my testing was crap. That's why I posted here.
Last edited by Lenox2288 on Sep 13, 2014, 10:10:20 AM
i do start life as well but its also less nodes for my tree to go through the top and grab the attack speed nodes which help my build.

it all depends on the build really whether their useless or not. and got to remember one node may be better for one setup but changing gear could cause another node to actually be more beneficial, so really its a case of constantly optimising not only your gear but also your passives.
The 10% phys dmg nodes should give you more dps at the start especially because you dont have the mana at the beginning to support your attack with a higher attackspeed weapon
-> (unless you're leveling with flat ele dmg lvling gear or facebraker, then the phys dmg nodes are useless of course)

When you get a decent amount of phys dmg from tree and strength later on, attackspeed should give you a better dps boost.

The marauder dmg nodes really suck compared to those life+armour hybrid nodes. in most cases it is better to take that defensive route and pick up nice dmg nodes outside of the marauder starting tree.

But at least in SC leagues you want to start with those dmg nodes for quicker lvling and respecc later into the health/armour or maybe life regen (e.g. if you'll plan righteous fire).
lvling as marauder is a pain in the ass without the offensive boost.
"
azraelb wrote:
The 10% phys dmg nodes should give you more dps at the start especially because you dont have the mana at the beginning to support your attack with a higher attackspeed weapon
-> (unless you're leveling with flat ele dmg lvling gear or facebraker, then the phys dmg nodes are useless of course)

When you get a decent amount of phys dmg from tree and strength later on, attackspeed should give you a better dps boost.

The marauder dmg nodes really suck compared to those life+armour hybrid nodes. in most cases it is better to take that defensive route and pick up nice dmg nodes outside of the marauder starting tree.

But at least in SC leagues you want to start with those dmg nodes for quicker lvling and respecc later into the health/armour or maybe life regen (e.g. if you'll plan righteous fire).

while in general it may be that way but to me i would rather spend 2 more points(in my setup atleast) and go through the top in order to make my way to templar part, this also means for 2 points extra i get attack speed,strength and 20% phys node compared to just strength nodes if i went the shortest route.

i do still go through the bottom life nodes and that ends up leading me to duelist area in my finished build.
"
shadowraiden wrote:

while in general it may be that way but to me i would rather spend 2 more points(in my setup atleast) and go through the top in order to make my way to templar part, this also means for 2 points extra i get attack speed,strength and 20% phys node compared to just strength nodes if i went the shortest route.

This maybe "feels" better, but it will most likely mean that in the end, you have less skillpoints to put into way better nodes than those mediocre generic ones in Marauder top start.
3.5 build: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2299519
"
azraelb wrote:

Kind of off-topic, but

1) Why would physical damage nodes be useless for Facebreaker? I thought they would be perfect for Facebreaker?

2) How much life regen is needed for a Righteous Fire build?
"
Lenox2288 wrote:

1) Why would physical damage nodes be useless for Facebreaker? I thought they would be perfect for Facebreaker?

Well those "melee phys dmg" nodes work with facebreaker and you probably should take them later on to improve your dps, but for lvling they are kinda useless.You'll oneshot everything anyway so defense is much more needed...

"
Lenox2288 wrote:

Depends on your max fire resist
attack speed is good if you're using extremely fast skills with on-hit effects but if you're doing a slower build then the dmg is a better multiplier. that simple.
"
azraelb wrote:
"
Lenox2288 wrote:

Depends on your max fire resist

Assume fire resistances at 76%. How much life regeneration are we talking?

"
alexvsevil wrote:
attack speed is good if you're using extremely fast skills with on-hit effects but if you're doing a slower build then the dmg is a better multiplier. that simple.

Can you give a couple examples of using extremely fast skills with on-hit effects? Aside from Viper Strike.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info