attack speed nodes in start are useless

When would it be appropriate to the the attack speed path in the Marauder starting area? I ran numbers last night and in all cases, they are less dps than the melee physical damage nodes.
If you are a marauder, start HP. EVER !
"
pedro2907 wrote:
If you are a marauder, start HP. EVER !

Lol, I did on my main. But I created two level 5 marauders to run this test. One started out with the physical damage path, and one with the attack speed path. The attack speed path yielded lower dps results in all cases.
What if you split the paths? I just build on strength for the most part. I figure strength, life leech, attack speed, armor, plus resistance all together are a force to be reckon with. This is what I did in other dungeon crawlers. I'm pretty new to this game so not sure what the highest DPS Marauder consist of path wise.
I went with the life path, but if I were to go more DPS with my AoF molten strike, I would almost certainly take the added attack speed over melee physical because melee physical does not apply to the projectiles from molten strike.
IGN: _WaPaPow_ or KillItWithFire__ (two underscores)
Last edited by Resilient on Sep 11, 2014, 4:52:16 AM
"attack speed nodes in start are useless"

Pretty much any node in the skilltree is "useless", if it is not a notable or keystone.

But you have to travel through the tree to get the sexy stuff, and while doing so, you have to determine which basic nodes are the least useless. 4% life nodes are pretty bad, but at least it's life, and having more life is always a good choice, so most Marauders walk this path.

4% Attack speed or 10% physical damage, both are not really great.
I only used them once, on a CI Marauder who obviously isn't interested in life.
3.5 build: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2299519
"
Peterlerock wrote:
"attack speed nodes in start are useless"

Pretty much any node in the skilltree is "useless", if it is not a notable or keystone.

But you have to travel through the tree to get the sexy stuff, and while doing so, you have to determine which basic nodes are the least useless. 4% life nodes are pretty bad, but at least it's life, and having more life is always a good choice, so most Marauders walk this path.

4% Attack speed or 10% physical damage, both are not really great.
I only used them once, on a CI Marauder who obviously isn't interested in life.

Life or ES nodes dont follow the rule - they're usually viable on their own.

Nodes, leading to "big notable" are also OK, but there still are obviously weak nodes in the tree, that lead to nowhere (like 4% one/two handed AS in Maradeur's starting area). GGG made a good job, and now skill tree semms to be much more balanced, than it was before. But still, there is a lot of work to do.
IGN: MortalKombat
Molten Strike build guide: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1346504

There is no knowledge
That is not power
I actually want them to keep the "bad" or "useless" nodes, they are required for theorycrafting.
How do I get from here to there without investing in those shitty nodes? ;)
3.5 build: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2299519
"
Peterlerock wrote:
I actually want them to keep the "bad" or "useless" nodes, they are required for theorycrafting.
How do I get from here to there without investing in those shitty nodes? ;)

There are shitty nodes, that lead to nowhere.
IGN: MortalKombat
Molten Strike build guide: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1346504

There is no knowledge
That is not power
i actually was doing some testing of my dps comparing the 30% phys damage u get from top route or the 12% attack speed.

i essentially found that in my build the 12% attack speed equated to a 4-5k dps increase on my setup while the 30% was only around 3k more phys damage.

im a physical groundslammer using hatred and herald of ash.

so to say the nodes are actually useless is false and clearly shows you didnt actually do real testing.

tbh in my setup and build even if the dps had been a slight drop overall i would of gone with the attack speed still as i use vaal pact and so prefer to do many hits as fast as possible to keep leeching instead of one giant hit that leeches over time.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info