Two-Handed Weapons Viable?

2H is viable, at 10k hp and insane damage,
It's hard to remember what you have forgotten
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Why are police looking for missing people? None of them were missing last time I saw them
"
Boem wrote:
What is this nonsense on these last pages?

300/400% more damage ? You guys for real realz? <.<

The only problem 2-handers have is mitigation issue's and EHP issue's. Dps was never an issue with
2-handers.

Let's assume for a moment in some far distant time 2-handers get buffed in damage, while ehp/mitigation stays stabilized.

So what? now we have non crit RT 2-hand users dying to reflect with 1 swing?

Color me confused, but i thought the issue of 2-handers was lack of mitigation since this is
"path of mitigation" and not "lack of dps" when people are dying to reflect when they crit with
2-handers.

Boosting the dps would make every 2-hander a noob-trap. It would be silly....

Peace,

-Boem-

DPS is never an issue when you use ST, Molten Strike, or Ground Slam for example. Skills that requires you to be in the face of the boss, and jumping into an army of mobs for single-target purposes do not fair well that often. On top of having mitigation issues and EHP issues, if you do not kill something fast enough, it will kill you.

300-400% is probably a bit too much, but 200% more melee damage should be the ceiling.
Sometimes you can take the game out of the garage but you can't take the garage out of the game.
- raics, 06.08.2016

DPS is not an issue with two handers, one handers are not "light years" ahead. If you're going to compare to two hand RT builds then use one hand RT builds as your basis.

Also all suggestions with this multiplier for simply being melee is silly, let alone 100% more melee damage.

I say all this as someone currently using a pseudo two hand melee build(WoE). Sure it's not a pure two hand build but it's part of the equation. Currently doing 60k DPS and farming Atziri extremely easily.
Last edited by kasub on Sep 11, 2014, 4:21:17 PM
"
plasticeyes wrote:
also too. best dagger on the server is 350 dps with 9% crit.
best 1H weapon not a dagger is a sword which is 370 dps.
best 2H is an axe at 620 dps, 5% crit.

a build that used that dagger would easily, easily out-DPS that axe AND it would get to use a shield.
a build that used that sword would be much tougher than the 2H build thanks to the shield.

2H needs more love. or blocking needs the nerf hammer. or something.

Pretty much.

At least staves are coming back in a big way thanks to master modding. It's a lot cheaper to roll a good staff since you can always just slap on crit%, aspd%, or flat phys to make it work. They have inherent block and scale with crit and their nodes are strong (well, not Adder's Touch strong, but pretty strong).

The best Hegemony's Era in Rampage is 484dps at 8.6% crit.
The best rares are 471dps/8.48crit and 447dps/9.01crit.

(And in standard, best ever is Axn's Gale Song at an astonishing 752dps/9.21crit.)

Going without a shield is still a huge cost, but those staves definitely compete for damage on a bog-standard "crit ST" build.

---

There's something else here about crit (why staves/wands/daggers/claws can outdps everything else), but it feels like it's for a different thread.
"
kasub wrote:
DPS is not an issue with two handers, one handers are not "light years" ahead. If you're going to compare to two hand RT builds then use one hand RT builds as your basis.

Also all suggestions with this multiplier for simply being melee is silly, let alone 100% more melee damage.

I say all this as someone currently using a pseudo two hand melee build(WoE). Sure it's not a pure two hand build but it's part of the equation. Currently doing 60k DPS and farming Atziri extremely easily.

You want me to compare apple with another apple, and you present me a Pear.

WoE is incredible when you combine all the aspect of DW into 2H builds. -_-
Sometimes you can take the game out of the garage but you can't take the garage out of the game.
- raics, 06.08.2016

Higher damage can be reached with rare two handers, it's just a lot less defensive and requires higher levels of gear(While WoE is pretty easy to build).

Your suggestion is that these very defensive builds should be doing 200k+ resolute damage.
Last edited by kasub on Sep 11, 2014, 4:54:28 PM
"
kasub wrote:
Higher damage can be reached with rare two handers, it's just a lot less defensive and requires higher levels of gear(While WoE is pretty easy to build).

Your suggestion is that these very defensive builds should be doing 200k+ resolute damage.

Could you give us examples of this "higher damage can be reached with rare two handers"? Rolling essentially the best staff would still keep you short of the best dagger + random shield. Now imagine if that dagger ran dual wield instead. With nothing changed it would gain 1.32 times more dps right there. 2 handers can't compete with daggers even with crit. Sure, they can get somewhere along there, but not close enough to the damage and tankiness of daggers.

The only thing 2handers have is the fact that you can roll a 6-link on them. But you can roll a 6-link on a bow too, yet you still get the stats from a quiver. Not to mention that you usually don't even need to get a 2nd 6-link because there is so much support shit in the game now that you want to run too.

You want to run: auras, herald(s), cast when damage taken(s), curse(s), movement skill(s).
All of these need slots and if you are using two 6-links for offensive skills you'll probably be missing out on some of the above.

So in the end the two 6-links are a lot less useful than it might seem at first: bows can get them too while still gaining extra stats from the quiver. 2handers don't get that. There is no equivalent of +3 gems for melee 2-handers as spellcaster staff users have either. Nor can you use a shield and your block is worse than dual-wield.
@Aelloon
Last edited by Aelloon on Sep 11, 2014, 5:07:08 PM
"
kasub wrote:

The reason why damage multiplier was mentioned in the first place because skills like Molten Strike, Spectral Throw, Ground Slam, and other projectile/AoE quasi melee skills outshines the pure melee skills. Buffing 2H weapons would just buffs up everything related, buffing up pure melee skill gems would give 1H+shield and DW another edge, so we needed a keystone that would do away all the projectile/AoE + 1h+shield/DW nonsense, and actually have 2H single-target skills be close to those multi-target skills. On top of that, getting some physical dmg reduction as well. Of course, this might not happen.

Do not be surprise that AoE/Projectile offense is another form of defense.

- raics, 06.08.2016

Last edited by JohnNamikaze on Sep 11, 2014, 5:09:16 PM
"
kasub wrote:

post your passive tree plz
"
JohnNamikaze wrote:
"
Gobla wrote:

I'd go for something more elegant.

Berserker
Can not block.
+25% to all resistances
100% more melee damage to enemies at close range
Deal no damage outside of close range

Can not block to take away advantages of shield/DW without outright removing them as options.
+25% to all resistances would include chaos and physical resists as well as making it easier to cap elemental ones.
Close range being the same as for Point Blank, a radius of 10. If an enemy is within 10 yards they take 100% more melee damage from you. If it's outside 10 yards it would take no damage at all, regardless of source. Non-melee damage would deal normal damage within 10 yards.

That keystone is pretty much spot on what I would expect from it, but I feel that 100% more melee damage is not enough. 300%-400% should bring it closer Dual-wielding weapons in the offensive stand point, but I feel that DW will still be superior, but that cannot be helped.

Also, the keystone should also include some form of physical reduction, be it flat or %-wise, but not too much. 2H wielder should be more durable to taking incoming damage. There would be no point of going 2H, if one sneeze from a mob literally shatters you to pieces. The philosophy behind 2H melee is that you sacrifice defense for more offense, but is more durable than those that uses 1h+shield or DW that depends on block to live.

I want to avoid real-world logic, so just having physical damage reduction from mobs would be nice as a 2H melee player.

"
plasticeyes wrote:

2H needs more love. or blocking needs the nerf hammer. or something.

2H just needs a lot more love. No point in knocking down everyone else just so that 2H's weakness is not that glaring obvious. They will still have issues, so it is better to improve 2H melee weapons, and make them be more than just "viable" in end-game.

I don't think you realize just how much damage 400% more is. That's 5 times the damage. That's basically getting every single crit multiplier bonus that exists in the game along with a guaranteed crit and after that you still get to roll for another crit on top. 100% is already stretching it and probably too much. 400% is insane.

As for physical reduction, the 25% all resist would include 25% physical resistance and 25% chaos resistance. Though again, those percentages are probably too high. Just goes to show how much is needed to compete with block...
My vision for a better PoE: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/863780

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info