Two-Handed Weapons Viable?

"
JohnNamikaze wrote:
"
Septile wrote:
It's primarily just block + spell block being insanely good that makes 2h underwhelming. Either block needs to be nerfed, or 2h weapons need at least double the damage of 1h to make up for the risk of 2h melee. Only problem is ranged melee skills like spectral throw and ground slam basically making it impossible to have balance between bows/2h melee, one will always be better than the other as a result.

The only other method is to be pigeon-holed into a keystone that would benefit 2H weapon melee skills. When I say benefit, I say it would just benefit Glacial Hammer, Double Strike, Puncture, Elemental Hit, Frenzy, Viper Strike and Heavy Strike. Skills like Molten Strike, Ground Slam, Lightning Strike, Cleave, and Spectral Throw would be nulled from existence as long you are specced into that keystone.

The buffs from the keystone would be like 20-40 added physical damage, 400% more damage, but cannot use skills that has Projectile or AoE tags.

Of course, that is probably not going to happen.

Edit: Actually, Sweep and Leap Slam are AoE, so it would not work with the suggested keystone

Edit 2: Changed "more physical damage" to "more damage" to help Elemental Hit fit in.

Edit 3: Ranged was too broad, so projectile made more sense.

I'd go for something more elegant.

Berserker
Can not block.
+25% to all resistances
100% more melee damage to enemies at close range
Deal no damage outside of close range

Can not block to take away advantages of shield/DW without outright removing them as options.
+25% to all resistances would include chaos and physical resists as well as making it easier to cap elemental ones.
Close range being the same as for Point Blank, a radius of 10. If an enemy is within 10 yards they take 100% more melee damage from you. If it's outside 10 yards it would take no damage at all, regardless of source. Non-melee damage would deal normal damage within 10 yards.
My vision for a better PoE: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/863780
I think there is a lot of viability in using a 6-linked staff when spell casting. It's pretty nice being able to take advantage of curse on hit now and a few other good spell combos.

I don't think it's that good though for melee characters to use 6-links though. I think bows simply outclass 2-handers so hard right now. They just have better damage and are implicitly ranged. And don't give me any of that 'but you can use spec throw' crap because burning arrow has a 160% modifier while spec throw is 60% which is nearly 3x as much and makes up for every bit of dps difference between the two weapon types... and more.

In the circle of 'buffs', melee is the last on the list right now. Mages got buffed (echo), now rangers (heralds + skills + bows) so 2-handed melee is probably next. 2-handed melee is just so... slow attacking which is pretty heavily against the meta of stacking auras and attack speed. There aren't really any incentives to attack slow these days because the whole 'less phys damage gives less armor penetration' mechanic (which is meant to incentivize slower, heavier physical attacks) is completely outdated by all of the ways to get elemental damages. The only use for 2-handed melee really seems to be Avatar of Fire proliferation and flicker strike builds.
"
Gopstop22 wrote:
yep staff is amazing i got it for realy cheap 5ex only and almost perfect rolls

realy cheap 5 ex

often i wonder if everybody else is playing the same game i am.
"
Odoakar wrote:
I was thinking about this recently and the demise of 2H swords in PoE. I still remember fondly the days of Colossus Swords and Blades in D2, and it's sad to see 2H feel so inadequate when compared to S&B and dual wielders. Lack of resist/life/block from shield or block from DW makes them quite a bad choice.

2H (rare ones, or based items) should have their damage increased at least by 50% to make it them competitive with insane 1H or dual wielding.

And yeah, Pledge of Hands and Hegemony are sure great, but we are talking about standard rare 2H. Btw, isn't it shame that 2H swords still don't have such a great unique (Oro's seems ok, but it's not really at the same level as the top tier 2H axe/mace/staff uniques)

yeah 2H unique swords are underwhelming.

Here's a great example of silliness.

i freaking love the idea of that sword...

260 dps ? at level 51 ? barely adequate.
and end game ? fuggedaboutit.
frenzy charge on crit but the crit is left at 5% base crit ? really ?
as if it had 6.5% crit it would be OP or something.
LOL.

also too. best dagger on the server is 350 dps with 9% crit.
best 1H weapon not a dagger is a sword which is 370 dps.
best 2H is an axe at 620 dps, 5% crit.

a build that used that dagger would easily, easily out-DPS that axe AND it would get to use a shield.
a build that used that sword would be much tougher than the 2H build thanks to the shield.

2H needs more love. or blocking needs the nerf hammer. or something.

again , it is not just about block , don't forget a shield represents 6 mods over a 2 hander build

considering you can get upwards of 50% resist all on a shield and A 90+ life roll , that's a huge ass advantage in of itself.

not even considering you can get a chest armors worth of evasion or armor or es to boot.

when i play 2 hander i always have to jump through hoops to get my resists capped .

I would drop kick block if i could just have something in that shield slot so i don't need to over pay just to get good resists on my other gear.

after all you can always do the immortal call thing as a sudo block for physical.
When wielding a 2 hander, the offhand slot could become a pants slot sans sockets.

PANTS! FINALLY PANTS!

2014 - the year of pants?
"
Gobla wrote:

I'd go for something more elegant.

Berserker
Can not block.
+25% to all resistances
100% more melee damage to enemies at close range
Deal no damage outside of close range

Can not block to take away advantages of shield/DW without outright removing them as options.
+25% to all resistances would include chaos and physical resists as well as making it easier to cap elemental ones.
Close range being the same as for Point Blank, a radius of 10. If an enemy is within 10 yards they take 100% more melee damage from you. If it's outside 10 yards it would take no damage at all, regardless of source. Non-melee damage would deal normal damage within 10 yards.

That keystone is pretty much spot on what I would expect from it, but I feel that 100% more melee damage is not enough. 300%-400% should bring it closer Dual-wielding weapons in the offensive stand point, but I feel that DW will still be superior, but that cannot be helped.

Also, the keystone should also include some form of physical reduction, be it flat or %-wise, but not too much. 2H wielder should be more durable to taking incoming damage. There would be no point of going 2H, if one sneeze from a mob literally shatters you to pieces. The philosophy behind 2H melee is that you sacrifice defense for more offense, but is more durable than those that uses 1h+shield or DW that depends on block to live.

I want to avoid real-world logic, so just having physical damage reduction from mobs would be nice as a 2H melee player.

"
plasticeyes wrote:

2H needs more love. or blocking needs the nerf hammer. or something.

2H just needs a lot more love. No point in knocking down everyone else just so that 2H's weakness is not that glaring obvious. They will still have issues, so it is better to improve 2H melee weapons, and make them be more than just "viable" in end-game.
Sometimes you can take the game out of the garage but you can't take the garage out of the game.
- raics, 06.08.2016

Last edited by JohnNamikaze on Sep 11, 2014, 2:50:31 PM
"
but I feel that 100% more melee damage is not enough. 300%-400% should bring it closer Dual-wielding weapons in the offensive stand point

Not really sure if you're serious anymore. You're hugely underestimating damage multipliers and the current two hand build viability.
"
kasub wrote:
"
but I feel that 100% more melee damage is not enough. 300%-400% should bring it closer Dual-wielding weapons in the offensive stand point

Not really sure if you're serious anymore. You're hugely underestimating damage multipliers and the current two hand build viability.

No, I am dead serious. 1h+shield and DW highest DPSers are light years ahead of the highest 2H DPSers (those that uses RT) because of crit, and they still get the benefit from shield. I know how the damage multipliers work with more damage and increased physical damage to some extent. Flat physical damage feels underwhelming under increased damage, but it is actually good with more damage with how the formula works out. I know, because I got a facebreaker build, and Pillar of the Caged God build.

Hell, attack speed glorifies more melee damage depending how much flat physical damage you have in your build setup.

Edit: Maybe it is a bit too much, but I feel 100% is a bit too low, if you are going to be pigeon-holed into a keystone.

Sometimes you can take the game out of the garage but you can't take the garage out of the game.
- raics, 06.08.2016

Last edited by JohnNamikaze on Sep 11, 2014, 3:19:30 PM
What is this nonsense on these last pages?

300/400% more damage ? You guys for real realz? <.<

The only problem 2-handers have is mitigation issue's and EHP issue's. Dps was never an issue with
2-handers.

Let's assume for a moment in some far distant time 2-handers get buffed in damage, while ehp/mitigation stays stabilized.

So what? now we have non crit RT 2-hand users dying to reflect with 1 swing?

Color me confused, but i thought the issue of 2-handers was lack of mitigation since this is
"path of mitigation" and not "lack of dps" when people are dying to reflect when they crit with
2-handers.

Boosting the dps would make every 2-hander a noob-trap. It would be silly....

Peace,

-Boem-
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info