Block & Pen (Some problems and wrong solutions)

as for HLD I do kind of see the problem with the capped block chance.

for LLD I think it is perfectly fine since a capped blockchance is pretty hard to aquire and you are definitely leaving out alot of dps potential if you go for it.

The block reduction gem works perfectly fine for me in LLD and I wouldn't want it changed / left out in my setup.
Block has been an ongoing issue in this game. The gem was an idea tossed around to implement a way to penetrate it to some degree. While rightfully costing a support gem slot to balance it. It was the best way to achieve a better balance then we previously had. Without reworking block mechanics or recoding the game. Without it you literally have 0 chance to beat someone with block. It was a way for all weapon types and casters to be viable for the first time in Poe's life. Tempest shield adds layers and layers of issues on top of the core one...block. Aegis/anvil are also really potent even still. If you don't use the gem, you're fucked. Even as a sword user with 35 bcr off the tree its not enough alone. This depends greatly on your main skill and who you face. Though honestly block is still really damn good and seems to RNG in the blockers favor more then dodges of equal value ever do. Back in the day you could simply walk away from the PC with tempest shield on...and ppl would die melee,bow,caster, only traps and totems could even touch you. If you don't use the gem this still happens.

I want to retract my statement that block should be flat reduction rather then multiplicative. It would be broken vs anyone not heavily invested in block <50% chance. So gem should stay working as intended but I feel should be 40% at 20/20. Obviously this is one of those things that must be looked at AFTER balancing PvP in other areas first. For the longest time now I've also been trying to push this idea: 2h melee weapons crush block chance. So you get a nice Lil cluster centralized around Mara/duelist where all the 2h nodes are. Within that cluster you have hybrid damage/bcr nodes maxing at 35-40%. It makes sense, drop the "sword" specific nodes that benefit 1 and 2h. Let 1h use the bcr gem and their shield. 2h has no shield and by nature 2h should "crush" shield block...obviously not at 100%. Just saying, this automatically puts 2h in balance. Let's shield users dick around vs one another and doesn't favor one weapon type any longer. Each weapon has its unique traits and sword no longer gets the "gotta use it for PvP BC of bcr" tag. With the inherent con's of being 2h this does not break the game. It won't become path of 2h and its waaaay better then sword being the favored weapon type. Want to allow diversity and balance PvP? Start making changes that make sense.
GGG, the ADA of gaming....huuuur i gotz mai skilz.
IGN: MullaXul
Last edited by MullaXul on Oct 22, 2014, 9:02:02 AM
You don't think 2h crit staff would be op with bcr on the tree? They already get block chance (should get more imo) and have higher base crit chance than other 2h weapons.

Taking away bcr from 1h swords without a lot of balance changes would only solidify daggers as the best 1h weapon choice since we already don't see any axe users and very few mace users with the exception of some caster builds.
IGN:Dethklok
lllllDanziGGlllll - 100 Ranger ~ HOGM
Mirror Service: View-thread/2479762
Old:870532
"
You don't think 2h crit staff would be op with bcr on the tree? They already get block chance (should get more imo) and have higher base crit chance than other 2h weapons.

Taking away bcr from 1h swords without a lot of balance changes would only solidify daggers as the best 1h weapon choice since we already don't see any axe users and very few mace users with the exception of some caster builds.

I had pointed out that I feel crit staff would be good last night while talking with a few ppl. I feel it would go like this based on universal 2h tree bcr and their natural strengths and weaknesses. 1)staff 2)Axe/sword 3)mace. When you consider blind a possibility to nullify crit staff a bit plus the fact they can't achieve high enough block to require doubling up on bcr gem and tree to beat, you notice it won't be too far ahead of Axe/sword. Axe has highest DPs and sword has highest APs. Plus vaal axe and vaal great sword arent too far from eachother in terms of base dmg and aps. Mace because of US with forever be last amongst 2h melee IMO. Frankly when you think about stun, if 2h could actually put to use all of that stun they get on the tree. I think 2h would again be pretty well off but still feel strongly about 2h having the bcr nodes. US kind of mitigates the only unique ability 2h currently have (high ass stun power). Though when you look at crit staff..well US is no longer an issue but a godsend because you never miss. As for 1h sword and dagger, well I'd hope dagger sees some big changes before PvP time. My opinions are based solely on the fact dagger gets knocked down a few pegs. Then all the weapons would be in a good spot. Ppl should of been utilizing options besides US in PvP anyways. Evasion is so important vs crit melee and crit bow, rt and lioneyes may shut you down but the damage you take vs rt is nothing compared to how much benefit you receive in every other match up especially dagger. Ironicly even with evasions high....daggers still so stupid its funny.
Last edited by MullaXul on Oct 23, 2014, 12:46:36 PM
I would think a crit staff build would be much stronger(higher dps) than a 2h axe build, if done right. I haven't seen many out there though.

Funny... I remember when pvp first came out in closed beta two years ago, 2h mace was the most OP build then. Marohi for the win. lol Amazing how much things change.

IGN: _Firebitch
"
Firebrand76 wrote:
I would think a crit staff build would be much stronger(higher dps) than a 2h axe build, if done right. I haven't seen many out there though.

Funny... I remember when pvp first came out in closed beta two years ago, 2h mace was the most OP build then. Marohi for the win. lol Amazing how much things change.

Ya crit staff is pretty strong. Honestly since the introduction of the BCR gem, staff has been a sleeper. It instantly became the best 2h weapon type imo and I've been saying that for awhile. Obviously with the stupidity of Tempest shield sword has its moments because it can double up on block reduction. Beyond that, staff all the way. Axe > sword too in all situations except vs block. People make the argument about acrobatics and its accessibility when you're sword but I dunno...really never cared.
Last edited by MullaXul on Oct 23, 2014, 3:32:15 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info