[3.0] NeverSink's ♣ INDEPTH Tornado&Archer Guide ♣ Beginner friendly ♣ Rapid clear ♣ All bosses

"
IchiMorghulis wrote:
I played this build for a little over a month now and it is by far the strongest build I ever played. I think that the most important piece of gear other than a decent harbinger is a Lightning Coil. This is the end result after trying many different gem/skill combinations.

I found that split arrow/chain works best to deliver curse on hit. HoL don't work so well with this build. HoA/Elem Prolif is magical. I'm currently lvl89 my tornado shot does 13k unbuff and 20k buff 58% crit chance. my puncture is 20k/31k 65% cc without charges.

I noticed you don't run HOI, how does that work for you? Also why the Coil , over a high eva chest?
"
IchiMorghulis wrote:
I played this build for a little over a month now and it is by far the strongest build I ever played. I think that the most important piece of gear other than a decent harbinger is a Lightning Coil. This is the end result after trying many different gem/skill combinations.

I found that split arrow/chain works best to deliver curse on hit. HoL don't work so well with this build. HoA/Elem Prolif is magical. I'm currently lvl89 my tornado shot does 13k unbuff and 20k buff 58% crit chance. my puncture is 20k/31k 65% cc without charges.

I've been often considering running a utility shot setup, such as you do and sticking to a 4L puncture for everything else (outside of uber-atziri runs).

My problem however is that without a double curse, I don't find it too effective (ideally I'd like to run something like Frenzy/GMP/Chain/CoH/AssassinsMark/Warlords Mark).

And while Windscream is not bad, I feel like Atziri's Step is WAY too good to drop.
And sadly it's not too easy to get your hands on a perfect corrupted double curse amulet.
Please don't PM me ingame with filter/guide questions, post them on the forum, after reading the FAQ.
"
ChestyPuller wrote:
What's the sweet spot for crit chance on this build? Right now I am running 67.7%.

Also I was considering pulling portal/faster cast out and running Vaal haste solo with no ID and instead doing a HOT (in place of HOI) with a curse on hit, assassins mark link? Doable or will I give up to much losing HOI?

Don't skip on HoI imo. It's benefits are way too high if combined with hatred. HoA overkill damage is not bad, but with the GMP and multihit aspects of tornado shot a lot of potential is wasted.

"
Your tree looks exactly like Sidra's, just without the frenzies ;)
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/919885
But yeah it is a nice spec. I've been switching between SA, Tornado Shot, Puncture and Frenzy all the time and it's really fun. And yes, I play in Beyond league (hardcore).

Never tried/saw that build before, but yes it looks very similar indeed o.o
Please don't PM me ingame with filter/guide questions, post them on the forum, after reading the FAQ.
So just to be clear, HOA + ele proliferation is also worse than HOA + HOI?
"
BlackPie wrote:

I'm going to try to explain my problem with it.

Let's consider the strength of TS. We have high area coverage, lot's of small hits and the ability to focus down single targets.

Now lets take a look at HOA. HOA provides a strong hatred-like boost to active skills. HOA also uses a high percentage of the overkill damage to deal burn damage to all surrounding foes.

Since we're using GMP, our damage is halved by default. We can improve this offset with Physical proj. damage, but the big improvement is the fact that tornado shot can hit a lot of time.

However cutting damage in half is not just a 50% decrease. We're talking about overkill damage.

Let me provide an example.

Lets assume we hit a mob with 500 HP. We hit him with 3 hits from tornado shot each dealing 200 damage (just an example). After the first 2 hits the mob would have 100 HP. THEN the last hit kills him dealing 200 damage. The overkill damage is only 100.

That damage is then multiplied by approximately 1.5 and dealt over time to all surrounding mobs. That's 150 damage over several seconds.

Now let me ask this: why would you care? It's much easier and safer to fire a second arrow barrage.

At this point you might say. Safer? Why that.

Well it's likely that you fire into mobs AHEAD of you. You can try running past them. But do you really want to leave things alive that are likely melee (since melee mobs have more HP) and just run past freaking bears, huge skeletons and golems, while waiting for them to burn to death.

Now try considering this with split arrow. Stronger single hits. Less area coverage. It's a MUCH better idea there.

So why are we still using HOA?

Because the 15% damage bonus is awesome and we have the spare mana.

So why not run Hatred+Hasted instead.

Less mana and Hatred+HoI+HoA actually synergizes better and provides higher DPS.

This obviously doesn't count for puncture. But why would you want to clear AOE with puncture hits, unless you just enjoy watching mobs burn to death....

I'm sorry for the wall of text.
Last edited by NeverSink on Nov 19, 2014, 8:57:52 AM
"
"
BlackPie wrote:

Let's consider the strength of TS. We have high area coverage, lot's of small hits and the ability to focus down single targets.

Now lets take a look at HOA. HOA provides a strong hatred-like boost to active skills. HOA also uses a high percentage of the overkill damage to deal burn damage to all surrounding foes.

Since we're using GMP, our damage is halved by default. We can improve this offset with Physical proj. damage, but the big improvement is the fact that tornado shot can hit a lot of time.

However cutting damage in half is not just a 50% decrease. We're talking about overkill damage.

Let me provide an example.

Lets assume we hit a mob with 500 HP. We hit him with 3 hits from tornado shot each dealing 200 damage (just an example). After the first 2 hits the mob would have 100 HP. THEN the last hit kills him dealing 200 damage. The overkill damage is only 100.

That damage is then multiplied by approximately 1.5 and dealt over time to all surrounding mobs. That's 150 damage over several seconds.

Now let me ask this: why would you care? It's much easier and safer to fire a second arrow barrage.

At this point you might say. Safer? Why that.

Well it's likely that you fire into mobs AHEAD of you. You can try running past them. But do you really want to leave things alive that are likely melee (since melee mobs have more HP) and just run past freaking bears, huge skeletons and golems, while waiting for them to burn to death.

Now try considering this with split arrow. Stronger single hits. Less area coverage. It's a MUCH better idea there.

So why are we still using HOA?

Because the 15% damage bonus is awesome and we have the spare mana.

So why not run Hatred+Hasted instead.

Less mana and Hatred+HoI+HoA actually synergizes better and provides higher DPS.

This obviously doesn't count for puncture. But why would you want to clear AOE with puncture hits, unless you just enjoy watching mobs burn to death....

I'm sorry for the wall of text.

Wow, that one ugly wall of text I a made.

TL;DR: Don't do it. It looks cool, but it's not too awesome with that build.
Last edited by NeverSink on Nov 19, 2014, 10:36:29 AM
Hey Your!

Going to stick with HOI for now then. However I am thinking of putting Vaal haste in the unlinked spot in my bow without ID which will open up an entire 4l for me, what do you avise? Honestly i have thousands of portal scrolls, the gem is useless to me.

I would love to keep the ID on Vaal, but I also hate to waste a 4l.

I was thinking I could move HOA into free 4l and add ele prolif to it...what else what you add?
Last edited by ChestyPuller on Nov 19, 2014, 11:49:16 AM
YOUR!!!! I suddenly had another flash of inspiration thanks to the post above me :D. Using your normal setup, we will have a free 4L to use as we wish, which in my case I used lightning strike + GMP + COH + assassin's mark.

How about instead of that, we use the 4L to put HOA + ele prolif + increased burning dmg + reduced mana? Then instead of the hatred + HOA + HOI + reduced mana we change the HOA to another ele prolif?

Unless of course the mana multiplier of the support gems count towards the % mana reserved of the auras then Ill be very sad indeed...
"
I noticed you don't run HOI, how does that work for you? Also why the Coil , over a high eva chest?

The difference is that HoI shatters the enemy while HoA/prolif will proliferate the burn. If you crit, the burn can be quite substantial. My spilt arrow (6.5K dps) will often set enemies on fire off screen. I started out with HoI but HoA allows me to clear faster. The physical mitigation from the coil is incredible. Sometimes when positioning yourself for puncture you end up taking a big hit, with the coil I can tank bosses for a short duration. The downside to the coil is that you need a ton of resist on other gears.

"
I've been often considering running a utility shot setup, such as you do and sticking to a 4L puncture for everything else (outside of uber-atziri runs).

I only use puncture on bosses and reflect rares, which is another benefit of the coil.

Edit
"

His numbers are correct, the proliferated burn is not enough to kill anything more than normal mobs. The way it plays out in game is that split arrow while applying the curses will start the enemy burning and by the time you fire your TS the mobs will either be dead or have a chunk of their life already taken out. I find that I clear faster with the setup I have now. Run it both ways and see which clears faster with your setup.
Last edited by IchiMorghulis on Nov 19, 2014, 12:50:47 PM
Level 84
HP: 4,004
Tornado DPS: 19k (23-24k 3/3 PowerCharge)
MAX Res :)

I did Atziri at level 82 without many problems :)

Gear

Awesome build! Most fun and OP build I've played so far :)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info