So, masters are pointless on new chars?

So, I did a fair bit of masters grinding the past two weeks, and have almost all masters over level 6. It's took a fair bit of time and effort, so I figured I'd roll a new character in order to take a break.

So, running through act 1 normal I come across a few masters, do their quests as habit as I go along... until I realise I get NOTHING from them. ZERO master xp and ZERO favour. I mean come on. I am not expecting massive gains from low level quests. Even if its just like 50xp and 100 favour or something, ANYTHING to make it worthwhile as I level. Hell, maybe even make it a bit more than that, but then have it be penalised when done by a higher level character like the current character xp penalty for overlevelling content, to avoid abuse. Just give me a reason to do them, please.

Having the expansion content be pointless on a new character seems like awful design. What about hardcore players, who will re-roll every so often due to death? Whatever happened to risk/reward?
Last edited by Grimmhammer on Sep 2, 2014, 10:07:06 AM
Even with xp penalty that's still easily exploitable, just roll a new character and get your masters to 8 in no time.... :D
d:-D*
I suspect that they had HC players in mind. They wanted to make a challenge for them to level up their masters. It is also a balance decision because then people would just create a bunch of low level characters and spam low level quests which are easier.
"
ganimal wrote:
I suspect that they had HC players in mind. They wanted to make a challenge for them to level up their masters. It is also a balance decision because then people would just create a bunch of low level characters and spam low level quests which are easier.
If they're easier but also give much less experience it won't save you time.

Master XP requirement and XP granted base don level is exponential. A low level character getting the associated favour for that level would be getting a comparatively much smaller fraction of total favour required to level up than that same character ata higher level for the same master.
IGN - PlutoChthon, Talvathir
"
PyleWarlord wrote:
Even with xp penalty that's still easily exploitable, just roll a new character and get your masters to 8 in no time.... :D

How would that be exploitable? Doing a master quest in a map gives something like 4k xp. If low level quests gave like 50 xp, you're 80 times better off doing high level quests. It would be much slower rolling new characters for quests.

But tbh, I would still be happy if quests gave no xp and just a small amount of favour. Again, nowhere near enough to make it worthwhile doing it over high level quests, but still have some benefit. Getting nothing just feels... meh.
Last edited by Grimmhammer on Sep 2, 2014, 10:26:02 AM
How would it be exploitable? If I use a level 80 character and run around merciless zones, or maps, it will take me a few minutes to do a quest. If I use a level 20 character to do a wild master quest, it will probably take me longer due to gear that is unproportionally worse. The XP you get should depend on the zone where the master is in, and the level of the character doing them (if grouped, then the highest level of the group members should be used).
Yeah it's dumb that your lower levels cannot contribute. The total reputation needed to level doesn't change, and the quests at lower level would give significantly lower amounts than higher.

So you're looking at 19287361987542619284761958716238471623x10^387 runs instead of 19287361987542619284761958.
† You were a good man in a bad situation, Fairgraves. †
See what I am currently after here: 1767138
Thanks Chris! 2797098
I rolled toon, found haku before level 10, got 3 rep. Said fuck it. Ignored the rest i saw until act 3. Started getting 200 rep. Almost worth the 3 minutes of effort now.
There comes a time thief when jewels cease to sparkle, gold loses it's luster, throne room becomes a prison, and all that's left is a father's love for his child. - King Osric
short answer to the op , no
After recently dying at 76 (my masters are at level 5 mostly, a couple nearing 6), yeah I noticed the same thing. I honestly just skip them while leveling now, unless you want to do it for fun or something. It isn't worth it for the time spent. You could rush through and start doing missions at higher levels faster rather than wasting time on missions in normal or even cruel.
Current IGN: TheBearerOfLight
Gizoogle Chris: "Da State of Exile muthafuckas axed mah crazy ass ta post a reminder dat they podcast is dis weekend, as usual. It aint nuthin but tha nick nack patty wack, I still gots tha bigger sack."

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info