Armor Mechanics Too Steep

Armor does almost nothing for larger hits. Even if you stack crazy amounts of armor it can still have very little affect on some of the larger hits in game. The curve seems too steep and I would like to see armor a little more useful for those who want to put a lot into it.
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
Working as intended. Armor is supposed to make you nigh invulnerable to small hits. Evasion is what's supposed to be the counter to single, massive hits.
It is this, specifically, that diversifies defense types in PoE.

Armour is ideal for mitigating a high quantity of smaller hits, but is weak versus fewer larger hits.
Evasion is ideal for mitigating fewer larger hits, but is weak versus high quantity smaller hits.

And it used to be that Energy Shield was ideal for soaking short bursts of any kind of hit, and all three defense forms were weak to chaos damage. Now, ES is life 2.0, and chaos is elemental 2.0.

Currently Life/ES > Armour/Evasion; what you would propose would make Life/ES > Armour > Evasion. That's kind of the opposite direction we need to go ;)

Spoiler
Try AR/EV hybrid; I suspect it is more what you are looking for.
Devolving Wilds
Land
“T, Sacrifice Devolving Wilds: Search your library for a basic land card and reveal it. Then shuffle your library.”
"
IlyaK1986 wrote:
Working as intended. Armor is supposed to make you nigh invulnerable to small hits. Evasion is what's supposed to be the counter to single, massive hits.

Agreed ...
I like many kinds of games 😊
I am not asking to change how it works but to just scale it more appropriately.

EV mitigates a hit and that means the elemental as well as the physical. Armor does nothing to stop a hit and that means you take the elemental damage. Armor even stacked gives little help against small mobs when they are packing elemental mixed with their melee hits. Evasion can handle most situations easily with low life because a person who is in evasion is built for speed and does not suffer movement penalty. They are also on the side of the tree that allows you to grab movement passives. A person with evasion can move out of hits and avoid the bigger hits a lot easier than someone who has a lot of armor and is slowed down because of it.

Many would ever stack Armor like they do evasion because everyone knows armor helps out very little. The only remote chance of making armor somewhat effective is to get endurance charges.

In the end EV can handle small hits equally or better than armor because EV gives your champ time to heal between hits, this is especially more viable with ES than armor is. Because armor allows you to get hit and only mitigates damage partially and is also capped at 90% instead of full damage mitigation for small hits, ES and armor is the worst combo to sink damage.

Summary: Armor slows you down forcing you to take more hits. Armor only mitigates the physical part of the hit while EV mitgates both making you take more damage. Armor does very little for large hits while EV can block a large hit completely and over a longer span mitigates more damage than an armor based character. Since EV can avoid hits it is more likely to avoid, stun, freeze, ignite, and shock stacking. EV gives more time for ES to recover while Armor does nothing to help ES.
The whole built-in 'Crushing Blow' thing to armor was never needed and the armor formula needs to be adjusted. Armor already has enough weakness in it given that it does jack squat against elemental damage, and considering how commonplace elemental damage for monsters is in this game, it makes little sense for it to have another pointless penalty.
"
Atomgun wrote:
I am not asking to change how it works but to just scale it more appropriately.

EV mitigates a hit and that means the elemental as well as the physical. Armor does nothing to stop a hit and that means you take the elemental damage. Armor even stacked gives little help against small mobs when they are packing elemental mixed with their melee hits. Evasion can handle most situations easily with low life because a person who is in evasion is built for speed and does not suffer movement penalty. They are also on the side of the tree that allows you to grab movement passives. A person with evasion can move out of hits and avoid the bigger hits a lot easier than someone who has a lot of armor and is slowed down because of it.

Many would ever stack Armor like they do evasion because everyone knows armor helps out very little. The only remote chance of making armor somewhat effective is to get endurance charges.

In the end EV can handle small hits equally or better than armor because EV gives your champ time to heal between hits, this is especially more viable with ES than armor is. Because armor allows you to get hit and only mitigates damage partially and is also capped at 90% instead of full damage mitigation for small hits, ES and armor is the worst combo to sink damage.

Summary: Armor slows you down forcing you to take more hits. Armor only mitigates the physical part of the hit while EV mitgates both making you take more damage. Armor does very little for large hits while EV can block a large hit completely and over a longer span mitigates more damage than an armor based character. Since EV can avoid hits it is more likely to avoid, stun, freeze, ignite, and shock stacking. EV gives more time for ES to recover while Armor does nothing to help ES.

For elemental damage, get your resists high ... Armor has absolutely nothing to do with that.
Also ... Funny, most seem to think armor is better than evasion, because it gives a kind of insurance against a hit, evasion does not ...
I like many kinds of games 😊
Last edited by ArchSecter on Sep 2, 2014, 12:48:53 PM
"
Atomgun wrote:
Armor does almost nothing for larger hits. Even if you stack crazy amounts of armor it can still have very little affect on some of the larger hits in game. The curve seems too steep and I would like to see armor a little more useful for those who want to put a lot into it.

My 100k armor flameblaster was mitigating physical damage just fine even from the hardest hitting physical bosses, and he wasnt built to be a tank at all.
Therefore no, its not too steep considering the amount of armor that we can stack.
30-35k base armor is very easily achievable.
Last edited by gh0un on Sep 2, 2014, 2:03:33 PM
"

For elemental damage, get your resists high ... Armor has absolutely nothing to do with that.
Also ... Funny, most seem to think armor is better than evasion, because it gives a kind of insurance against a hit, evasion does not ...

It is human nature to be more afraid of the unknown than what is real. Evasion creates an element of the unknown due the the fact that it is based on a dice roll. There are safegaurds in it that ensure that you won't be too unlucky with evasion.

I know armor is not meant to block elemental. What irritates me is that Evasion outshines Armor because it blocks elemental from hits like bows and melee weapons and the one node we had to help armor out a little, to raise elemental caps, was removed.

Another thing that irritates me is that the only reason to get armor is to mitigate physical damage. Yes armor helps mitigate damage from white mobs who would likely never hit you anyways because they are slow, die quickly and easy to stun. When you really need armor, against those few who actaully hit with pure physical, who have too much life to reasonable freeze or stun lock and don't die fast, when you really need that physical mitigation, armor doesn't do much. Why sacrafice life, which helps with elemental, leech rate, and regen, or damage nodes which help with stuns and leech, For armor to mitigate physical damage when it doesn't effectively mitigate physical damage when it really matters?
"
gh0un wrote:
"
Atomgun wrote:

My 100k armor flameblaster was mitigating physical damage just fine even from the hardest hitting physical bosses, and he wasnt built to be a tank at all.
Therefore no, its not too steep considering the amount of armor that we can stack.
30-35k base armor is very easily achievable.

I am more than certain your are a minority and have gear that most of us will never have. I have all the +armor and + armor% mods on my gear and grabbed all the armor nodes in teh passive tree for armor in the marauder and duelist area. I also run 6 endurance charges. A hit from those big skeletons in level 65 still knocks my life down near halfway with my level 63 marauder. It is one of the few hits in the game I should be able to mitigate very well but I would have a easier time taking on elemental damage of that same power than I would the physical.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info