Do Masters kill the future temporary leagues for you?

"
Sneakypaw wrote:
Who said it wouldn't be a grind? Source please.

Chris talked about the daily and master quests several times, and he mentioned that the masters system isn't intended to be a long-term grind. He also used the term "multi-year grind". The implication was that it would not be a very long, tedious, super-heavy RNG grind, but he may have meant that entirely literal, though I can see Zana being a "multi-gear grind" for quite a few people. As for sources, check the Forsaken Masters related materials.
Masters are almost level 7 without using any of the big quest parties or global chats. Not like I expect to get level 8 all masters in all future leagues, as long as you can focus on three of them through dailies that should be fine.

Last two levels are by far the grindiest but you get all the main crafting mods before those levels. Level 7 is also doable by anyone playing the game throughout the temporary league time period.

People already have level 8s and within a day or two someone had a level 7. The grind needed might seem insane if you plan to do it in the first week but over 3 months it's not so bad to reach level 7 for the masters you have dailies with. Maxing all requires further commitment but is not necessary to the concept of what masters provide.
Last edited by kasub on Sep 2, 2014, 4:34:18 AM
Years? Thats absurd. PoE may be Chris' life but sure aint mine and I suspect majority of players.

Oh and for the record I'm 77 never met her in a map either. Only time I saw her was a clan mate invited me for a daily. She's still lvl 1.
Git R Dun!
Last edited by Aim_Deep on Sep 2, 2014, 4:32:33 AM
"
Aim_Deep wrote:
Years? Thats absurd. PoE may be Chris' life but sure aint mine and I suspect majority of players.

He said that it's not intended to be a multi-year grind, which I, and supposedly others, took as meaning that it will be relatively painless.
"
Mivo wrote:
"
Sneakypaw wrote:
Who said it wouldn't be a grind? Source please.

Chris talked about the daily and master quests several times, and he mentioned that the masters system isn't intended to be a long-term grind. He also used the term "multi-year grind". The implication was that it would not be a very long, tedious, super-heavy RNG grind, but he may have meant that entirely literal, though I can see Zana being a "multi-gear grind" for quite a few people. As for sources, check the Forsaken Masters related materials.

Define long-term please. I see people already have them at lvl 8. Sure they grinded a lot, but we are only a few weeks in.

“Demons run when a good man goes to war"
Honestly, I think it's a great concept, but in 3 month leagues, it'd be too much of a grind to take full advantage of it.
Seeing as there's a much higher risk than reward involved.
The main problem is that masters should feel more integrated to the normal levelling process. Right now, they're the equivalent of corrupted zones. So you only take them if you're decently strong or the challenge is lower level.
To fix this, just let normal enemies drop items that garner experience with the masters. That way you can level them on the back burner and have at least one master to lvl 6 by the time you're lvl 70.
Also, the maps master doesn't really help move along the player from regular instances to maps. As we still need to develop a map pool to acquire and level her in the first place.
The smart thing to have done would be to put her into the very last levels of the game and have her hand out 66 maps for free so players would be more tempted into actually doing them.
Because maps on their own are kinda boring and generic.
Vote +1 to change Path of Exile to Path of Nerfs.
We hate to say, but ProjectPT was right.
Didnt they change appearance frequency? Regarding ppl @ 8 most got under old scheme and always parleying party dailies sure. But that's not avg player. For avg player masters in leagues will disincentivise league play like OP says when by seasons end they are at 5-6 and just want to be 8 some day.
Git R Dun!
"
Sneakypaw wrote:
Define long-term please. I see people already have them at lvl 8. Sure they grinded a lot, but we are only a few weeks in.

I can only go by my own experiences, obviously, since it's the only reliable data available to me. One of these experiences is that I ran 27 maps (yes, I keep track) without meeting Zana even once. There are people who make different claims (either not seeing her in 50+ maps, or seeing her repeatedly in just a few maps), but again, the only information I can really base anything on is what I have experienced myself. I'll keep collecting this data for myself and see what maps-per-Zana ratio I eventually arrive at.

XP gains, especially from 7-8 are extremely low, and running (and getting) higher maps for character progression is not necessarily trivial. If we assume 3 hours per day of playing video games as a "normal" and "healthy" amount (most of us play more than this right now), I conclude that getting Zana to 8 would definitely take me longer than a year, based on my experiences so far.

Those experiences (not those of others) determine whether or not I will participate in temporary leagues and repeat the masters grind. This is really about the appeal of temporary leagues -- not so much about the masters system itself in the context of a permanent league. If I was a primarily Standard or HC player, I'd not consider changing how I play the game in the future. I'd just keep playing and do master quests as I encounter them.
Next temp league masters will perhaps spawn less often but give much more xp. So you dont have to grind that long?
There are lots of ways to keep them fun in new leagues too.
"
camar1s wrote:
Next temp league masters will perhaps spawn less often but give much more xp. So you dont have to grind that long?
There are lots of ways to keep them fun in new leagues too.

Haha, give more xp, that's a good one.

No the next "expatiation" will see a further reduction in the master spawn rates. Just like the corrupted zones might as well have been all but removed from the game with the way they are now.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info