Facebreaker Build - BoR vs. Abyssus

Hey Everyone,

I recently started a facebreaker marauder intending to level this way and change builds later on. However, I fell in love with the build and ended up sticking with it.

I always hear that BoR is pretty much the be all and end all for the facebreaker builds.. so I pooled all my currency and purchased a legacy BoR.

After equipping this I am extremely disappointed.. my DPS dropped over 5,000 points from the abyssus, and while my damage taken is significantly less I never really had an issue with staying alive.

Can someone please explain to me why the BoR is better than the Abyssus? I feel like I've been terribly ripped off as it stands.

My main skill is infernal blow supported by melee physical, melee splash and either faster attacks or life leech depending on the map I'm running.

My main issue is mana.. I'm always running low when I'm running hatred and herald of ash. I know I can use blood magic for one of these but I'm wondering if there is an easy alternative I'm missing?

Thank you.

Last edited by Randomsanity on Sep 1, 2014, 10:18:42 PM
BoR is just a cheaper alternative of a 6-link and the added block% is REALLY nice to have.

Abyssus is only better if you have the right gear(Decent 5-6 link, tons of armor, and stacking life).

Linking this into the BoR might replace the 5k dps loss: IB-BM-Added fire(?)-Multistrike
I used Abyssus AND lightning coil to mitigate the increase physical dmg. Instead of BOR, you should have maybe gotten that instead. Then you can have a 5-6 link skill to maximize your facebreaker more.

For mana, get a ring or amulet with mana leech. e.g

The phy dmg you do is high enough to help you regen whatever you need. It's even enough for dominating blow... if I don't miss. Hence resolute technique.
Ignoring your skill set - which you didn't specify, the Abysuss has an advantage over the BoR in added physical damage: BoR adds 20-30 Physical damage while the Abyssus adds 20-60 Physical damage.

However the bigger advantage the Abyssus has over the BoR is it's added critical damage multiplier which in real terms can be 200% net damage multiplier increase. So if you have a decent amount of critical hit chance, the Abyssus can really boost your DPS.

Example: I have an Abyssus with 119% increased crit damage multiplier. My crit chance went up 20% from a skill node and it resulted in 500 additional net tool tip DPS. So yeah if you have some decent crit chance that's where your DPS went.

I like the BoR, I really do, and until I get a good 5L or 6L armor, I like to use it. However in your case the Abyssus seems the way to go.

And if it's any consolation, you should have no trouble selling your legacy BoR.

Thanks for the responses guys..

I'll look in to getting a mana leech amulet, though I have a feeling one with high added physical is going to cost me an arm and a leg.

I don't have the option of using multistrike, as I don't have any green sockets in my BoR, all red.

I didn't post my skill set before, my apologies..

In the BoR I'm running Added Fire Damage, Infernal blow, Melee Splash and Item quantity/Life leech.

In the Abyssus I run Melee Physical, Faster Attacks, Melee Splash and Infernal Blow.

I enhance these with Hatred/Anger and sometimes Herold of Ash.

I know one of the big things I'm missing is quality gems.. all of mine are quality 0. I assume I could get a big damage increase from getting quality 20 gems, at least for infernal blow. I'm just all out of currency so I can't afford it at the moment.

I do wish I could change one socket in my BoR to green for multistrike, however I have horrible luck with chromes and I'd expect to get 4 blues if I tried lol
Last edited by Randomsanity on Sep 1, 2014, 11:17:53 PM
err.... Multistrike is a red gem.
"
I don't have the option of using multistrike, as I don't have any green sockets in my BoR, all red.
"
err.... Multistrike is a red gem.
"

Oh, wow I'm an idiot, thanks xD I'll give that a try.

If I was to buy a single quality 20 gem, which one would be the most worthwhile?
"
If I was to buy a single quality 20 gem, which one would be the most worthwhile?

I would say melee splash to hit more things in packs or IB for more aoe when they explode.

Just my personal preference.
BOR offers much more survivability. It gives you a chance to generate e-charges on block, gives a considerable amount of live, and gives you an effective seven link item. The only downside is that you lose the chest piece.

Abyssus can offer unmatched DPS potential in both raw damage and crit chance, but this cannot be used unless using Infernal Blow. I'm not sure about the other skills FB can use, but only IB has a base crit chance. Thus crit isn't much of an option.

If you need survivability or are lacking gear, BOR is your best bet.

If you have survivability and need/want better DPS, Abyssus is the best option.
"
Randomsanity wrote:
I'll look in to getting a mana leech amulet, though I have a feeling one with high added physical is going to cost me an arm and a leg.

Shouldn't need. I am a miser and my most expensive purchase costed 1.5 ex... and this amulet is not that one. So it's probably closer to 5-8 chaos. It doesn't have element resist nor life, so it's not that expensive.

"
Randomsanity wrote:

In the Abyssus I run Melee Physical, Faster Attacks, Melee Splash and Infernal Blow.

With Abyssus, you can have a chest piece. You should try to 5 link that one so that you can add one more support.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info