Would this unique item be game breaking?

"
pengant wrote:
"
H4T3MONG3R wrote:

Its not hard at all to get 2. I have got 3 on a 4link myself and have seen full white sockets.

I guess tabula does counter it somewhat but it does handicap the poorer player still as some people will gain 6 whites on other items easily and not have the downside of having to wear tabula rasha.
Point I was trying to make is that wealthy player have a huge advantage already and the game doesnt really need a unique that caters to that concept further. White sockets are a good idea I just think there should be some bonus for non white sockets. Maybe even lower the static cast speed to 15% and do 1% for blue socket and 3% for white sockets.
The dmg nerf + no spell dmg on it would counter the speed still.

You got lucky.

It's still hard to get white sockets on items. And obviously if you corrupt a lot of items you are going to see white sockets eventually. Try corrupting 10 Alpha's and see how many times you get more than 1 white socket and i bet its hardly any compared to what you'd be expecting judging by your response.

People don't corrupt for white sockets specifically as far as i'm aware, atleast not very often and they're talking about corrupting items like shavs and godly rares.....no one is going to do that

So people with limitless wealth wont corrupt godly items for white sockets to gain a advantage ?
I take it youve never seen the corrupted legacy kaoms, legacy 6link shavs, etc etc with that little red "corrupted" label at the bottom ?
People do it. Its not even very rare that people corrupt gg items tbh.

Also I have corrupted a ton of items and chest and 1 white socket occurs constantly, 2 fairly regularly, 3+ very rare...
Out of 5 Alphas I corrupted,two had 1 white socket and this one had 2 white sockets.
White sockets roll much more often than +1 gem or +1 charge yet people have that stuff all over the place so im really not sure if your confused about how vaal orbs work or just about how far wealthy players go for a edge.

I mean im not going to search my whole stash for examples of favorable corruptions.
here are some more.

I don't even have 1 shavs, but if I had 2 6 links shavs and didn't need currency I sure as hell would corrupt one if it could potentially provide a benefit.
there is people with 10 shavs, 1000s of exalts, and nothing on their mind other than gaining more benefit.

If it was a league only item it would be a non-issue or lesser atleast, but I don't believe any user designed uniques go league only.
Last edited by H4T3MONG3R on Aug 30, 2014, 10:58:32 PM
Of course i've seen GG items corrupted. Those items were corrupted around the same time as the vaal orb was released though, because people were yolo corrupting and unsure of what they could gain.

You think anyone would be corrupting shavs and legacy kaoms now though? Of course not.

And as you say white sockets occur constantly, i can say turning that GG item into a random shitty rare occurs constantly too.

These people get rich by being smart about it and no one is going to be corrupting GG rares or GG uniques to risk losing them for a few % cast speed. I suppose there could be a couple of people with so much currency that it doesn't matter, but do you really think they would be using that weapon over a mirrored rare?

The item isn't even that good lol....so yeah it's for sure not game breaking.

Nobody said gamebreaking because of the power of it.
I said it can cause disparity between wealth classes through mechanics.
There is plenty disparity already due to a number of factors.
The item concept is fine I just dont like the idea of something specifically designed around a currency = power mechanic.

Also people regularly eternal/exalt 20lvl items for low lvl pvp. People still vaal legacy gg uniques. Just because you wouldnt do it doesnt mean other people dont do that stuff.
There is instances where castspeed > spell power and if someone was so inclined they could use a vast amount of wealth to have +102% cast speed with one of these... imagine a dual wield.
Contrary to most unique items where over a long enough period of farming the average player has a reasonable chance at getting one to drop, this item in current form would gate the ultimate power of it behind vast amounts of raw currency which the average player simply would not have access to in a reasonable way.
Balance isnt about what YOU would do, its about what is possible to do.
Last edited by H4T3MONG3R on Aug 31, 2014, 5:19:37 PM
The op asked whether it would be game breaking no? Kind of says it in the title :P

I don't think people Vaal good legacy uniques anymore or mirror worthy rares. But I have no proof and neither do you really, so lets leave it at that. Common sense tells me they don't though, cause it's not worth the risk.

But you can try and answer this - If it were the case that people would simply throw currency at something that gave them an advantage, like you claim, try showing me a few legacy shavs, or normal shavs for that matter with a corrupted +1 to all gems mod. Because thats amazingly powerful, yet i've never seen one! hmmmm

And are you really suggesting the game should be balanced around whats probably only possible for 0.1% of the player base?

"
pengant wrote:
The op asked whether it would be game breaking no? Kind of says it in the title :P

I don't think people Vaal good legacy uniques anymore or mirror worthy rares. But I have no proof and neither do you really, so lets leave it at that. Common sense tells me they don't though, cause it's not worth the risk.

But you can try and answer this - If it were the case that people would simply throw currency at something that gave them an advantage, like you claim, try showing me a few legacy shavs, or normal shavs for that matter with a corrupted +1 to all gems mod. Because thats amazingly powerful, yet i've never seen one! hmmmm

And are you really suggesting the game should be balanced around whats probably only possible for 0.1% of the player base?

http://poe.xyz.is/search/oritesikototik

http://poe.xyz.is/search/sitausihubamok

A good number of 6link shavs and legacy kaom's... those are the ones for sale, obviously the players who got the corruption they wanted arent selling them and the ones that failed dont show up either...
Its not uncommon.
Many perm league players have infinite currency at this point.
Gamebreaking? No.
Just a boring unique. Nothing really interesting or unique about more damage.
"
H4T3MONG3R wrote:
"
pengant wrote:

http://poe.xyz.is/search/oritesikototik

http://poe.xyz.is/search/sitausihubamok

A good number of 6link shavs and legacy kaom's... those are the ones for sale, obviously the players who got the corruption they wanted arent selling them and the ones that failed dont show up either...
Its not uncommon.
Many perm league players have infinite currency at this point.

You've linked a few shavs that you have no idea when they were corrupted? What's that showing me exactly? I already said people corrupted them when the Vaal orb was released when no one knew the odds and what was possible.

Your telling me that not one person has posted their 6 link shavs with +1 to all gems in item showcase either or as part of their 'gear' section when posting their builds? I'm still thinking such an item doesn't exist :P

And it is uncommon. You managed to find a handful of corrupted shavs out of how many thousands in existance? That's pretty much the definition of uncommon.

And you didn't answer - are you really suggesting the game should be balanced around whats probably only possible for 0.1% of the player base?
@pengant
I really dont know what else to prove to you.
I linked you some of my personal items to show white links are not exceedingly rare as you claimed, I linked you shavs and kaoms including legacy corruptions to show you that people do indeed corrupt gg uniques... if you want to know if anyone has +1 gems shavs I guess you can google search it or something since I dont think you can poe.xyz a item showcase that isnt in sell forums.

To your question, the answer is yes I do.
The reason why I think a item should be balanced around 1% or less that may abuse it is because when the 1% do break the mechanic through pure force of will and currency it will require ggg to make a change to remedy the contrast of power. The issue I have is that when ggg do balance a item after the fact it takes away from the in game universe through legacy items, broken builds, and the power/lvl/currency etc that those players abusing the mechanic gained prechange.

Last edited by H4T3MONG3R on Sep 1, 2014, 10:18:26 AM
Dual-wielding this with all white sockets on equipment, plus 2 Voideyes, would give you 216% more casting speed. Add some increased casting speed, spell echo, and a fast spell, and it's quite possible that you'd be casting so fast that you'd literally crash the game.

"But nobody is going to be wearing all white socket gear," you might respond with. Sure, but you have to look at worst case scenarios when discussing things that could potentially break the game.

Also, I imagine GGG would be very reluctant to attach such a strong white-socket based effect to a unique because it restricts their flexibility in creating uniques in the future.
"
H4T3MONG3R wrote:
@pengant
I really dont know what else to prove to you.
I linked you some of my personal items to show white links are not exceedingly rare as you claimed, I linked you shavs and kaoms including legacy corruptions to show you that people do indeed corrupt gg uniques... if you want to know if anyone has +1 gems shavs I guess you can google search it or something since I dont think you can poe.xyz a item showcase that isnt in sell forums.

To your question, the answer is yes I do.
The reason why I think a item should be balanced around 1% or less that may abuse it is because when the 1% do break the mechanic through pure force of will and currency it will require ggg to make a change to remedy the contrast of power. The issue I have is that when ggg do balance a item after the fact it takes away from the in game universe through legacy items, broken builds, and the power/lvl/currency etc that those players abusing the mechanic gained prechange.

You didn't prove anything I didn't already know, that people have corrupted GG uniques in the past. There is no +1 gems shavs that i've ever been able to find/see so people don't throw endless currency at things to gain advantage when their is substantial risk involved.

And yes white sockets are not that rare on rubbish easy to find/trade for uniques because people don't mind corrupting them, again this proves nothing in regards to your original point of people throwing endless currency at this type of thing.

And if things were balanced around 0.1% of the poplation that would not be a very fun game to play and I can't believe you think that is a good idea...

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info