Gem values?

So I got a stash page full of Gems and I want to sell some of them.
But me being new and not knowing a lot about the trading yet I was wondering what are the gem values?
Most of them have no quality added(some have) and most likely I will keep most of those.
So that leaves lvl 1 gems some dropped some quest rewards, but how do you say which gems is worth something?
Is there a google sheet/spread sheet with the values of gems?
Also I saw there were some tools to get a shop going easily can some one give me the links to these tools(?) couldn't find it sadly.

Example: Blood Magic 18%, dropped somewhere don't know where any more, my guess it could go for like 5-8Chaos but hell I don't know that much.

Thanks in advance!
Last edited by Plainside2 on Aug 29, 2014, 7:31:05 AM
A most complex question for a complex game... You should know that most early quest rewards are worth exactly one other quest reward gem in trade, and not much else. Perhaps you should make rings out of them or something (check vendor recipes). Some of the later quest rewards are very powerful, but the least powerful of those are almost never chosen.

(warning: sometimes this wiki is out of date)
http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/A_Fixture_of_Fate#Merciless

http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Quest_Reward_Gems

http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Drop_Only_Gems

You can also estimate that prices will be increased when a skill is new or has been buffed, or is currently popular on web streams.

There are a lot of things which influence the correct price for each gem in each league economy, some of these factors are the GCP recipe, the other gem recipes, inflation, popularity of league and builds that use that skill, and the cost of getting content to "farm status", master vendor gems.

I can't give you lists of prices for each gem, but I can give you this advice, never try selling something for more than people are willing to pay for it.
Last edited by ionface on Aug 29, 2014, 8:02:38 AM
"
Plainside2 wrote:
So I got a stash page full of Gems and I want to sell some of them.
But me being new and not knowing a lot about the trading yet I was wondering what are the gem values?
Most of them have no quality added(some have) and most likely I will keep most of those.
So that leaves lvl 1 gems some dropped some quest rewards, but how do you say which gems is worth something?
Is there a google sheet/spread sheet with the values of gems?
Also I saw there were some tools to get a shop going easily can some one give me the links to these tools(?) couldn't find it sadly.

Example: Blood Magic 18%, dropped somewhere don't know where any more, my guess it could go for like 5-8Chaos but hell I don't know that much.

Thanks in advance!

I cant speak for everyone in general but here is what I do :

1. Usually I try to have one skill gem of each type in my stash for future purpose when I decide to start a new character. I like to have everything ready and not bothering to buy it from other players.
2. I dont pick up regular quest reward gems from the ground for example leap slam, double strike, freezing pulse and so on.
3. Always pick up quality gems even if they are only 5 % no matter what the skill is. If you sell gems to a vendor with a total quality of 40 % you will get a Gemcutters prism.
4. Never vendor any gem above 15 % except auras and non popular gems. They give only radius which is useless for a nonsupport character. They have the same value for me like a nonquality one.
5. It is good to know what builds are the players playing at the moment. For example a 17% Faster casting will be always an expensive gem and even a nonquality Faster Casting can be sold for 1 alchemy orb. Same goes for gems like Life Gain on Hit, Life Leech and so on.
6. Gems like Poison arrow or explosive arrow are totally useless. Noone is using them and they were never popular. In this case it is ok to vendor a high quality gem for a gcp.
7. Support gems are always the most expensive. Top tiers are Empower, Enlighten and Enhance.
Also build enabling gems with high quality are always pricy. Chance to ingnite, Power Charge on Crit, Any penetration gem. Greater Multiple, Lesser multiple projectiles,Faster attacks
gems are these are worth keeping even without quality on them.
8. Gems like Multistrike, Cast when Damage taken, Spell echo were top tier until Forsaken Masters were released because the masters can sell these gems for just 1 chaos. People used to ask multiple chaos orbs for them and now they cant. They are still worth 1 chaos so keep them.

Basicly what I am saying is that you need knowledge about builds and what people are playing and which gems they need. And most important, which gems you need or might need in the future.
Last edited by MegaTen_IV on Aug 29, 2014, 7:57:50 AM
poe xyz search and compare. takes time you;ll learn eventually. Best policy is sell nothing until you learn values. Learn to use procurement. Price everything. then start selling. Market on gems shouldnt take more than a day to learn. Hard stuff is rare items.

You guess is pretty right. list for 7 take 5.
Git R Dun!
Last edited by Aim_Deep on Aug 29, 2014, 8:30:36 AM
Going home now so I'll see about using poe.xyz when i get there :D
I manage my gems with the rules as follows: All gems with less then 10% quality (*except for the few "special gems" that have value even without quality) I use for the gcp recipee.
Gems with 10% quality and higher I price related to what gcp sells for at the given moment. So if 1 gcp costs 3 chaos a 12% quality gem will be priced in relation to how many gcp I would use to get the gem to max (20%) quality. So, a 12% quality gem needs 8 gcp to get 20% quality. 8 gcp = 8*3 = 24 chaos. This means that the max prive I can take for the 12% gem is 6 chaos, but I tend to sell them a few chaos cheaper for faster sales as this gives the buyer a value for money.

* special gems that I keep for sale are as follows:

- Cast When Damage Taken: 2-5 Chaos sale price
- Blood Magic: 1-2 Chaos
- Reduced Mana: 1-3 chaos
- Multistrike: 3-5 chaos
- Greater Multiple Projectiles: 1-3 Chaos
- Empower: 6-12 Chaos
- Enhance: 6-12 Chaos
- Enlighten: 6-12 Chaos
- Portal: 8-12 Chaos
- Any new gems introduced to the game for the first 1-2 weeks can sell for 5-10 Chaos

These rules are a general system that I follow for ease and simplicity, it is of course subject to variaton in leagues and after patch changes. Hope this information was helpfull!

edit: with the introduction of strongboxes that can give gems with experience I want to add that I also keep all gems that drop with level 18 or higher and sell them for 3-5 chaos for a lvl 18 gem and 5-10 chaos for a lvl 19 gem.
Kitty's Guide On Post Formatting - view-thread/1913874
Last edited by Dkodr on Aug 29, 2014, 12:41:23 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info