Starting Maps

I have level 65 marauder (standard) and have found my first maps.

Superior Dried Lake (+13% quality, +13% items)
Tropical Island
Grotto

All are level 66. I am not sure what to expect. Should I start with one over another? What does the 13% improvement mean? I have a few cartographer's chisels; should I use them? How else can I improve my map experience?

I am a solo player; will that make a difference?

Thanks
"Gratitude is wine for the soul. Go on. Get drunk." Rumi
US Mountain Time Zone
Start maps after you kill Piety so you know you are strong enough. Level 66 maps are easy and do not waste alchemy orbs/chisels on maps less than 70, use only alterations. Being a solo player just means it will take longer to clean the map, you get more xp and you get less change to find valuable items (in theory). In practice I've always found more uniques running solo than in groups. +13% means you get more quantity per monster and also more quality drops
Last edited by perafelix on Aug 29, 2014, 12:02:38 AM
"
perafelix wrote:
Level 66 maps are easy
Except for Orchard boss. Not for all builds, but for many.
And worst change is putting almost all bosses in new version of maps into fucking small areas, where you can't kite well or dodge stuff. What a terrible idiot invented that I want say to him: dude flick you, seriously flick you very much.
still the place4 to go when starting maps:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/339977
"Ta-Ta, not-a-cockroach"
"
cyranorick wrote:
still the place4 to go when starting maps:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/339977

That link is fabulous.

I had no idea that maps were so complicated. I will start with the Tropical Island one I think.
US Mountain Time Zone
"
perafelix wrote:
Start maps after you kill Piety so you know you are strong enough. Level 66 maps are easy and do not waste alchemy orbs/chisels on maps less than 70, use only alterations. Being a solo player just means it will take longer to clean the map, you get more xp and you get less change to find valuable items (in theory). In practice I've always found more uniques running solo than in groups. +13% means you get more quantity per monster and also more quality drops

Is the goal to clear a map rather than do something else there? IIRC when you open a map in the lab, it gives you six instances. if you clear it once, can you go back and do it again five more times? Will the map content change a bit in each instance?
US Mountain Time Zone
"
ChanBalam wrote:
"
perafelix wrote:

Is the goal to clear a map rather than do something else there? IIRC when you open a map in the lab, it gives you six instances. if you clear it once, can you go back and do it again five more times? Will the map content change a bit in each instance?

No it means you only have 6 tries, or at high MF, 6 vendor runs.
"
wlfbck wrote:
"
ChanBalam wrote:
"
perafelix wrote:

No it means you only have 6 tries, or at high MF, 6 vendor runs.

Oh my. That is good to know. Thanks. I found the Orchard map last night.
US Mountain Time Zone
Well, I cleared Tropical Island tonight. So many, many killings, but so little loot to collect. IIRC I found 2 rares and a not very good unique helmet. The number of blue mobs was unreal and the snakes so annoying. I did find a couple of divine flasks though.
US Mountain Time Zone

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info