Why is Singapore region-locked from Steam PoE?

Just wondering. And no it has nothing to do with "Local Laws"; Singapore has no such local law, and is the very reason why PoE could even host a Singapore server to begin with.

Besides, if "local laws" was an issue, why was I allowed to buy a supporter pack way back then?
Probably to provide incentive to use GArena?
Also on related note: moving to Garena is NOT an option unless I can somehow transfer funds and purchases.
Last edited by Psaakyrn on Aug 28, 2014, 3:18:43 AM
Ask Steam.
“Demons run when a good man goes to war"
Its not region locked if you dont use steam. Just type Singapore into the gateway box and hit login.

Normal POE still has a singapore gateway
HAIL SATAN!
Last edited by tramshed on Aug 28, 2014, 5:40:15 AM
yes it is just to promote bloody Garena. I only play on this international server instead of that hopeless Garena.
"
Sneakypaw wrote:
Ask Steam.

I think it's a developer/publisher decision, not one that Valve makes.
"
Mivo wrote:
"
Sneakypaw wrote:
Ask Steam.

I think it's a developer/publisher decision, not one that Valve makes.

The native client isn't region-locked, not even the Garena one. Valve is a publisher. GGG won't be able to make a statement about this as per contract and never officially did.

Everybody with half a brain will be able to fill the blanks.
Last edited by Nightmare90 on Aug 28, 2014, 5:57:02 AM
If you are in China and want to play PoE international, get ready to be fucked. The routers here refresh their dynamic IP for a reason I yet have to find out why. You will get tons of disconnections and your ping will be over the roof. I think that is one of the reasons why PoE signed a contract with Garena. The time you exit china net, you are fucked. Everything hostin IN china works perfectly. Heh.

"
Nightmare90 wrote:

The native client isn't region-locked, not even the Garena one. Valve is a publisher. GGG won't be able to make a statement about this as per contract and never officially did.

Everybody with half a brain will be able to fill the blanks.

Why would Valve region-lock the game without a request by GGG? I don't see the motivation.

GGG did make the Singapore gateway invisible, presumably to encourage players from the area to play through GArena. Considering this, it seems more likely that GGG would ask Steam to make the client unavailable in Singapore than that Valve would decide Valve doesn't benefit from this (arguably, they lose money because Singaporean players won't be able to buy stuff with the Steam wallet).

There is only one relevant bit of evidence: GGG made the Singapore gateway invisible. They couldn't block it since they had sold stuff to people from the area before they removed it from the gateway selection (you probably remember the shit storm that even that had caused). You don't need a second half of a brain when half the blanks have already been filled out for you.
Last edited by Mivo on Aug 28, 2014, 6:05:30 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info