Why Self Found is Fine: 7 Days of Progress

"
tackle70 wrote:
IMO Forsaken Masters fixed self-found. I'm planning on starting a new self-found character soon, now that you can actually craft your own decent gear without needing hundred exalts of wealth.

You mean fixed what wasn't broken?
True, though, crafting the final crit mod on my wand rather than waiting for the 3rd eternal to drop (in over 6000 hours) and then hope...

Was, pretty sweet :)

"
tackle70 wrote:
Self-found is still not fixed in the sense that you will never ever ever ever ever ever ever acquire tier 1 gear (6L shavs / BiS rares) without the RNG equivalent of winning the lottery.

Never say never, at least for the 6L shavs, time will always win out.

However you are right about BiS rares, these are completely out of reach with eternal-exalted mirror gear. Funny, mirrored gear is the exact thing GGG wanted to avoid with no-brainer uniques. Yet at least one could hope for a no-brainer unique to drop, GL hoping for a 6 T1 perfect divined rare.

"
tackle70 wrote:
But you can put together solid map-capable builds self-found without needing to spend hundreds of hours farming ledge/docks now. Which is cool.

You almost got to the part that was broken ;) High level mapping, thus far map drops and sustaining is far, far worse in FM.

We'll see how things pan out when Zana gets lvl 7/8, but so far it's worse than it was, but that could just be shitty luck.
Casually casual.

Last edited by TheAnuhart on Aug 27, 2014, 10:29:33 PM
"
Septile wrote:

If anybody wants some more specific tips on how to make self found tolerable, or whether or not a build is practical for self found, feel free to PM me.

Is it just me or doesn't this kinda negate the entire post? If you're looking for ways to make it "tolerable" and you are shoehorned into builds that are "practical" for self-found isn't that the same as saying that it's not fine at all?

My 2 cents.
ign: ecogen
I always do up close, toe to toe melee dudes, because I'm one bad bad S.O.B. :D
"
ecogen wrote:
Is it just me or doesn't this kinda negate the entire post? If you're looking for ways to make it "tolerable" and you are shoehorned into builds that are "practical" for self-found isn't that the same as saying that it's not fine at all?

People are very obviously allowing their heavy biases to impact the way they read the OP. My usage of "tolerable" was targeted towards people who believe that self found is not viable, self found is already the most fun for me. You're clearly misinterpreting "practical", I never mentioned any sort of shorehorning. If you want to go for a soul taker build when you don't even have a soul taker then go for it. You'll suffer for a long time, but it was your choice. Don't try pretending it's out of your hands, you're the one who wants to play a soul taker build, you're the one who doesn't want to trade, you're the one who is going to run to the forums and talk about how you've played for 700 hours and haven't found a soul taker therefore the game is broken.

My main's most notable items are a 5link completely mediocre chest piece, and the other is a mid range spell crit dagger. I'm still having fun, I'm still progressing, and I'm able to find some great items like mjolner. Talking about how one refuses to play because the chances of finding items like soul taker or shavronne's wrappings or kaom's heart is so slim is like one refusing to drive unless it's in a ferrari 599. All it shows is a stubborn and entitled fool.
Spoiler
I don't actually know anything about the ferrari 599 it just sounds expensive
"All of the drops I think are pretty good"

A mirror? Pretty good? You are awesome at undestatements.

That must be around 1 in a million dropchance, played since closed beta and never seen an exlated drop, isn't a mirror like 70 exalts or something?
Went D1 -> D2 -> D3 -> PoE. Natural progression...
My self-found gear in 7 days of Rampage.

Spoiler

So far so good. 70s, 71s, 72s maps are a breeze to clear (Tornado Shot is so cool :). Still building a decent 71s pool.

When Tora gets to lvl 6, I'll craft increased elem. dmg. on the belt. Masters crafting seriously help the process.

Top tier map sustainability is another issue, though. Not enough orb (alc, chisel) drops in those. Funny enough, solf-found play is in line with the GGG statement: "we dont want you to chain 77s & 78s all day", while trading completely invalidates it :)
When night falls
She cloaks the world
In impenetrable darkness
Been playing self found exclusively since the launch of POE.
I also only play solo, and I only play hardcore.

I have to say that I find the statement "how to make self found tolerable" slightly odd from my view as it has always been fun and challenging. Almost all my deaths on HC self found are lag, desync or honest mistakes that I shouldve avoided.

What I have problems with understanding, is how people find trading tolerable ;) If I wanted a game that wasnt fun or challenging, Id be trading left and right. Trading basicly allows people to progress more through gear than skill.

Too each their own, but if people trade AND manage to die - then I wonder how bad these people are (excluding lag or desync).

This is by no means me saying "LOL NOOBS NOT PLAYING SELF FOUND ARE BAD" the game is first and foremost about having fun. And people have different subjective opionions of fun.

Fun for me - does NOT include trading or being carried by partying. But overcomming challenges with what I find myself. Buying a unique item instead of finding it gives me zero pleasure.

So as to "Making self found tolerable"; This seems to give the impression that you cant progress without trading. You can. There is simply a higher skill factor taken into account vs people with traded gear. Im not saying gear isnt important (merciless dominus is a hard gear check) but there is always options like farming and/or creating another character that might find gear for each of your other characters and such.
"
Septile wrote:
"
ecogen wrote:

People are very obviously allowing their heavy biases to impact the way they read the OP. My usage of "tolerable" was targeted towards people who believe that self found is not viable, self found is already the most fun for me. You're clearly misinterpreting "practical", I never mentioned any sort of shorehorning. If you want to go for a soul taker build when you don't even have a soul taker then go for it. You'll suffer for a long time, but it was your choice. Don't try pretending it's out of your hands, you're the one who wants to play a soul taker build, you're the one who doesn't want to trade, you're the one who is going to run to the forums and talk about how you've played for 700 hours and haven't found a soul taker therefore the game is broken.

My main's most notable items are a 5link completely mediocre chest piece, and the other is a mid range spell crit dagger. I'm still having fun, I'm still progressing, and I'm able to find some great items like mjolner. Talking about how one refuses to play because the chances of finding items like soul taker or shavronne's wrappings or kaom's heart is so slim is like one refusing to drive unless it's in a ferrari 599. All it shows is a stubborn and entitled fool.
Spoiler
I don't actually know anything about the ferrari 599 it just sounds expensive

Well, I guess it's up to each person's definition of fine. Apparently in your mind it's "fine" if you manage to get to a decent level of gear and clear maps and so on. Fair enough, that's what makes YOU happy, good for you.
Someone else, might wanna pimp his char out, min-max to the outmost, without the hassle of trading, because that is what makes HIM happy when he plays ARPGs. Can he do that self-found as things currently stand?
The point is, a self found league or private leagues(which have been promised for god knows how long) literally do not affect the people that are content with the current leagues, so why the hell not?
In any case my point is that while self-found might seem fine by your standards, that is completely subjective. Different people enjoy different things, and yes you can't cater to everyone all the time, but implementing something this simple that does not affect anyone in a negative way isn't a bad move in my opinion.
Oh and please no comments like "lel u jelly u want legacy kaoms and legacy soul takers". I have both.

PS. The ferrari 599 is a fucking sick car.

Edit: Eh, wrote this without having seen the above post, which touched upon some of the stuff I wrote about.
ign: ecogen
Last edited by ecogen on Aug 28, 2014, 4:31:55 AM
"
ecogen wrote:
Well, I guess it's up to each person's definition of fine. Apparently in your mind it's "fine" if you manage to get to a decent level of gear and clear maps and so on. Fair enough, that's what makes YOU happy, good for you.
Someone else, might wanna pimp his char out, min-max to the outmost, without the hassle of trading, because that is what makes HIM happy when he plays ARPGs. Can he do that self-found as things currently stand?

Yes, if one were so inclined they could. Without trading however, it might take anywhere from 2x to 5000x longer. Wanting to min-max and refusing to trade is a paradox to me, any person who tends towards min-maxing would take advantage of every resource available to them. Limiting yourself and then getting frustrated as a result of that limitation is your own fault. If that limitation would lead to frustration as it makes your goals seem unattainable, then you either adjust the goals, or remove the limitation. It's called adapting, you do it or you drift from place to place being miserable.
Last edited by Septile on Aug 28, 2014, 5:17:13 AM
"
Scorched wrote:
I am not really sure why you are all trashing OP for showing you his self found progress. He farmed he got the drops, most of the stuff he has equipped is just serviceable enough.
What proof do you need shown to believe that self-found is doable ? Maybe if you get your uber end game items drop from the sky then you'll believe it. The point of what he is showing is that you can make a decent build ,self found, that doesn't need (insert super rare unique here),6l or mirrored rares to work and do good. As he said if you aim for 6l/super rare unique build from scratch you are destined to fail.

What an idiotic response.

People are trashing the OP because he's not just trying to show his gear, he's trying to claim that self-found is fine.

Maybe it is fine, maybe it isn't. But it's quite insulting to intelligent people when someone makes this type of claim using 1 source of data.

Where this guy gets lucky RNG and claims its fine, someone else gets no drops whatsoever and claims self-found is not doable.

So yeah, start making these claims when you've analysed about 10000 players and maybe there will be some evident trend.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info