How to Build Wealth (in PoE)?

After playing through the game in the 1 month league and knocking over atziri / palace dominus with a 10ex budget build, I'd like to get into a more powerful, more expensive build. However, I don't know how I should be farming to get more currency per hour. Here's some of the things I did in the one month league:

1. Solo Mapping. I don't really have a party already lined up that I could play in, so I wound up playing solo a lot. It seemed like this burned more currency than it generated.

2. Corrupted Area Farming. I could realistically enter 40 corrupted zones an hour back in patch 1.1, which meant I could get somewhere between 14-18 chaos an hour selling midnight fragments depending on market rate. I'm not sure about the best way of getting the base fragments to start chaining them in the map device in 1.2.

3. Dominus Farming. I got in a split dominus farm group a couple of times, but it's kind of hard to do consistently unless you're friends with a culler. I don't really know what to pick up off dominus though, so much loot drops with a 350+/40+ culler in the party and 99% of it is bad.

So questions:
When should I be using the unid chaos recipe instead of the normal one?
What items should I be picking up off dominus in a split farm group?
Where's the best place to farm map fragments for atziri in 1.2 (post City of Sarn nerf)?
you should start the unid chaos recipe as soon as possible!
you can as you enter city of sarn the ilvl is 60+ there.

also check out this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cw87HnRO1oM&list=UULE2GaYojIuiVdf-_cWERMg
"
Borgbilly wrote:
After playing through the game in the 1 month league and knocking over atziri / palace dominus with a 10ex budget build, I'd like to get into a more powerful, more expensive build. However, I don't know how I should be farming to get more currency per hour. Here's some of the things I did in the one month league:

1. Solo Mapping. I don't really have a party already lined up that I could play in, so I wound up playing solo a lot. It seemed like this burned more currency than it generated.

2. Corrupted Area Farming. I could realistically enter 40 corrupted zones an hour back in patch 1.1, which meant I could get somewhere between 14-18 chaos an hour selling midnight fragments depending on market rate. I'm not sure about the best way of getting the base fragments to start chaining them in the map device in 1.2.

3. Dominus Farming. I got in a split dominus farm group a couple of times, but it's kind of hard to do consistently unless you're friends with a culler. I don't really know what to pick up off dominus though, so much loot drops with a 350+/40+ culler in the party and 99% of it is bad.

So questions:
When should I be using the unid chaos recipe instead of the normal one?
What items should I be picking up off dominus in a split farm group?
Where's the best place to farm map fragments for atziri in 1.2 (post City of Sarn nerf)?

Solo mapping is easy provided you follow the following rules:

1. First and foremost, never run a map with less than 50% quality. 49%, 48%, and even 47% you can still run but I never go below 50% personally. This makes it extremely likely that you will get at least one map.

2. Try to get a total of +50% in more magic monsters and/or magic monsters, or get at least +50% more rare monsters. This can be hard to do but really helps your overall drop rate for maps. I believe more pack size does increase the amount of magic monsters, but I cannot confirm this. If it does, then the single most important mod on any map is the "of Hordes".

3. Never run a map with a "death" mod. This is anything even remotely dangerous to your build. If you rely on damage avoidance like block and dodge, and are already losing a lot of life/mana from a single hit, don't run mods that increase monster damage.

4. Pick up items and fill your inventory to the brim. I played Tetris a lot and loved it, so juggling my inventory is no hassle to me. This saves you the problem of "if I die I just lost _ items". Once my inventory is full, I don't worry about dying as much. The only hit you take is the XP loss.

Every map, without exception, that I've run strictly by these rules have yielded at least three maps each. One map I got seven other maps from. So this is a reliable way to get higher maps, and then you can sell those higher maps for currency or sell the items in them for currency. I don't know about the drop rates of 70+ maps as I only have farmed 66-69 for my map base so far. I could push up to 72 easily but I'm picky in that I like to have a large backup of maps so I can waste some higher maps on some risky mods.

As to corrupted areas. I typically farm Catacombs for this very reason. From my experience, at least 1/3 of every Catacombs has a corrupt area. The only problem is that it is a large area and it's hard to guess where to find it. The advantage is that it's a level 67 area that offers full experience to any level at or above it. So you essentially get map level experience while trying to find a corrupt area. Other areas you could try are any of the slum areas or the docks.

Dominus farming is risk versus reward. It's an all or nothing thing that he may or may not yield a worthwhile item. Because of his lower level, rares have a lower chance of being valuable. This is because they are only level 70 items and that means they miss out on the highest tier of each applicable mod, thus reducing their chances of being better. Sometimes you'll get good drops, sometimes you'll get bad drops, and most of the time you won't find what you need except vendorable magic/rare items that you could find in any other method of farming.
Stash Tabs. You'll need a few if you want to efficiently do chaos recipes. Buy a bundle, it makes a world of difference.
"
Natharias wrote:
The advantage is that it's a level 67 area that offers full experience to any level at or above it. So you essentially get map level experience while trying to find a corrupt area.

Excellent suggestions, one correction though, the experience gained goes down with each level up for the character. What you're referring to is the frequently misunderstood situation where the loot drops are not further reduced per level but the experience gain is further reduced per level, at least that's my understanding.
Over 430 threads discussing labyrinth problems with over 1040 posters in support (thread # 1702621) Thank you all! GGG will implement a different method for ascension in PoE2. Retired!
Last edited by Turtledove on Aug 27, 2014, 12:54:06 PM
"
Turtledove wrote:
"
Natharias wrote:
The advantage is that it's a level 67 area that offers full experience to any level at or above it. So you essentially get map level experience while trying to find a corrupt area.

Excellent suggestions, one correction though, the experience gained goes down with each level up for the character. What you're referring to is the frequently misunderstood situation where the loot drops are not further reduced per level but the experience gain is further reduced per level, at least that's my understanding.

No. They made it to where, at least for 67 areas, you still get full experience.

I'm certain of it.
Not true. If you are lvl 75 and above you will not gain 100% experience for a level 67 area.
hustle
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds."
"
rtoronnie wrote:
Not true. If you are lvl 75 and above you will not gain 100% experience for a level 67 area.

IIRC they did make a change where no matter how high of a level you are your character will be seen as a level 68 character in merciless difficulty. I don't think that this includes maps, just merciless difficulty.
"
DoomCarpace wrote:
"
rtoronnie wrote:

IIRC they did make a change where no matter how high of a level you are your character will be seen as a level 68 character in merciless difficulty. I don't think that this includes maps, just merciless difficulty.

Yes, and I'm looking for the patch notes to confirm this. However I am unable to find it so I may be wrong.

But I am certain I did hear that from GGG.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info