Doing low level master quests on high level masters is not worth it!

So I have reasonably level masters, all 5s and 1 6.
And i have noticed something very disturbing. I skip masters on my new characters because the rewards is just not there.

worse still i ended up farming docks to level my masters because lower level areas dont give enough and high level areas they arent as easy to find.

This poses a real issue in that master content will quickly be only rewarding in the content matching their level onwards.

lets say you have a level 6 haku, well haku missions then will really only reward noticeable favor / master exp in level 50+ areas.

anything below that you might as well skip them until you get closer to level 50 , because lets face it, it is not worth doing a level 1 haku that gives 300 exp when you need 250,000 exp to level the haku to 7 and docks gives 3500 exp and is just as fast.

therefore i propose we change exp rewards to a percentage of the masters required exp , with a level scale drop off similar to how monster exp drops off as players level.

for example, if you are within 10 levels of a master doing a mission gives you 4% exp (so that it takes 25 master encounters to level to the next level)

but every 5 levels you are over the master you lose 1% exp to a point where you get nothing.

this way you can still make meaningful progress on your new characters but you cant farm low level areas with high level chars to gain fast exp, furthermore normal has gated masters and the final master is only in maps , so i don't think low level abuse would be an issue here.

and obviously the exact % of exp per master level can be tweaked to what ever ggg wants it to be
Last edited by Saltychipmunk on Aug 27, 2014, 10:38:03 AM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
+1, good suggestion
This would mean the fastest way to lvl them is make tons of alts and using twink gear.
works like regular exp, otherwise fastest way to level up would be to run normal difficulty

S L O W E R
"
SL4Y3R wrote:
This would mean the fastest way to lvl them is make tons of alts and using twink gear.

yes Slayer because your level 20 alt is faster at running instances than a leveled character with 3 aps leap slams 4 aps whriling blades , 1.8 base movment speed + 60% speed flasks with crit and 30k dps.

people already farm merci docks for masters averaging a master every two minutes in a full group.

others still make giant map groups farming them as well , and let us not forget large guilds od dedicated players like your very own BLOW which can veritably spam spottings of them.

so what if you can make a bunch of alts to run masters?

you will still need to get that alt to cruel or you wont be seeing all 6 of the premap masters in every instance.

you will still need to run 1000s of masters to level them up.

run 1000 docks at level 80 or run 1000 at level 30 wasting 3 hours leveling a new character every time to do it whats the difference ?

the whole point of the masters was to strengthen mid game content , yet the very opposite has happened.

if anything the current model discourages players from making new characters , specifically because you would have to level your self all the way to maps just get back into making meaningful exp with them.

what you wanted a 2 handers but found out its a weak build and want to re roll, well now you have to level a new character up wasting 2 or three 3 days of game time before you can do masters seriously again?

is that really what you want from this?

That seems ... limited to me
Last edited by Saltychipmunk on Aug 27, 2014, 3:49:39 PM
Good call, Salty.
"
Saltychipmunk wrote:
"
SL4Y3R wrote:

yes Slayer because your level 20 alt is faster at running instances than a leveled character with 3 aps leap slams 4 aps whriling blades , 1.8 base movment speed + 60% speed flasks with crit and 30k dps.

people already farm merci docks for masters averaging a master every two minutes in a full group.

others still make giant map groups farming them as well , and let us not forget large guilds od dedicated players like your very own BLOW which can veritably spam spottings of them.

so what if you can make a bunch of alts to run masters?

you will still need to get that alt to cruel or you wont be seeing all 6 of the premap masters in every instance.

you will still need to run 1000s of masters to level them up.

run 1000 docks at level 80 or run 1000 at level 30 wasting 3 hours leveling a new character every time to do it whats the difference ?

the whole point of the masters was to strengthen mid game content , yet the very opposite has happened.

if anything the current model discourages players from making new characters , specifically because you would have to level your self all the way to maps just get back into making meaningful exp with them.

what you wanted a 2 handers but found out its a weak build and want to re roll, well now you have to level a new character up wasting 2 or three 3 days of game time before you can do masters seriously again?

is that really what you want from this?

That seems ... limited to me

Did you read the OP? At level 80, you would 3%. It would be better to simply level an alt, and kill them constantly. You can get plenty of MS by cruel btw. With twink weapons, you slaughter just as fast.

I just don't understand the issue I suppose. It's upper tier crafting. Lower tier is for lower level. I personally don't care about leveling masters to 8 in short term leagues. 7 is fine. If I get it, I get it.

However, saying that a character gets the same amount of rep for running easy content vs. A player running map lvl masters is a flat out bad design.
"
SL4Y3R wrote:

Did you read the OP? At level 80, you would 3%. It would be better to simply level an alt, and kill them constantly. You can get plenty of MS by cruel btw. With twink weapons, you slaughter just as fast.

I just don't understand the issue I suppose. It's upper tier crafting. Lower tier is for lower level. I personally don't care about leveling masters to 8 in short term leagues. 7 is fine. If I get it, I get it.

However, saying that a character gets the same amount of rep for running easy content vs. A player running map lvl masters is a flat out bad design.

read the o ... i made the op silly. And in the op a explicitly said that the real numbers would be left to ggg for tweaking , focus on the concept slayer , not the numbers . Many a good idea has died on these forums because people get hooked up on the wrong thing.

and i dont think you do get the concept. If you wana level masters , there are already plenty of ways to game the system that are just as good if not better than running a bunch of twinks under my proposed idea.

: running multiple instances in a party
: being a member of an active guild (man you have no idea how much it sucks not being in a guild)
: running multiple maps .. etc.

low level twinking simply would not offer enough benifits between the fact that you cant level the last master or are gated from some of the masters if you dont go all the way to cruel.
not to mention you would be wasting your time building a bunch of throw away characters when you could have done the same thing while leveling real characters

But that is not the point.

The point good sir is that once you do get your masters to a highish level (say for example level 5 or 6 which is reasonable) then the miniscule amount of exp you get from doing masters while you are leveling charaacters is not worth the time investment , and you are better off just getting to end game as fast as possible.

That right there is counter to the origional goal of the masters which was to add spice to the mid game , but if people are incentivied to skip them because it would be faster just to wait till you are in maps to run them.

then as a mid level mechanic they fail spectacularly .

Last edited by Saltychipmunk on Aug 27, 2014, 5:51:58 PM
Sorry about the OP comment. Am on a phone and didn't look.

In terms of the spice to midgame, I thought it was to help midgame play via crafting, which it did. I'm not saying I think the masters are perfect, but I don't agree that a player running maps should get the same rep bonus doing harder content than someone whose running a low level zone.
Last edited by SL4Y3R on Aug 27, 2014, 9:30:06 PM
GGG lives by the mantra "We make a game that we would want to play".

Honest question... has anyone from GGG gotten anywhere with FM through regular play? No cheats. No help from mysterious "friends". I'd bet not.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info