Diary of a Self-Found Player, Week 1 (long)

wait does spell echo work on cwdt ? I thought it was only for self casting
Dogs Summoner - http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/885199
"
Amiag wrote:
wait does spell echo work on cwdt ? I thought it was only for self casting

It doesn't, I just put it there so it wouldn't get lost in my unbelivably messy stash. Once I have my Immortal Call leveled and 20%ed, I'll be using Enduring Cry manually with Spell Echo. Until then, I can't really be bothered. It's not necessary yet at this level of mapping.
Respect dude, I know exactly how you feel about self found. Trading for gear does lead to that feeling of being op and so decreases my enjoyment. The only thing I plan on trading for is a cloak of defiance, only because I know i will never find one and i love the tankiness it offers. So not 100% SF but almost :3
Nicely written, exactly my thoughts (except your one week progress is what i am able to do in one month, with my free time)

Well judging from the post self found is absolutely fine.

But I do have some problems with the concept. OP had rather good write-up of what he considers self found, but I do have some issues with it. It seems as if its normal Poe, but with its loot availability option closed. I can see the appeal, but the fact remains that it's a challenge run. By limiting your control of what loot you get you put yourself on RNG mercy, then cursing that RNG is not friendly to you is kind of strange.

With that comes few problems:
Biuld. This experiment tried typical build philosophy, with self found. It worked out for you cause rng was good enough for you, but it felt wrong. The build relied on having 5L (4L is base not 5L and if your perception is scewed by non self found builds.) on forcing IR and having Grace.

By the way here is another question, why did you left Grace to chance? If its central to the build get it. Not trade for it just lvlup ranger and get it from Quest reward like you got all central build gems while building your selfounder. It doesn't seem to break any of your challenge rules, and the idea that you planning on giving no stun amulet and 6L Regalia to other char indicates to me that op is not opposed of that idea. Also the whole Masters being bound to league idea also creates benefits to later characters even the next self found ones.

And the other is ending. The way it was written I have no idea how to measure whether it was success or not. Is having non self found build clearspeed a goal? Is merciless Dominus a goal? is Lvl 78 Dominus a goal? Atziri? Uber Atziri? Uber Atziri farm?

Normal POE game is baiscly p
This is very interesting to read ! Thank you :)

It seems you have played for many hours in this first week. I can't help to imagine how people who have less time to play react when they realize this is a game where trading changes drastically how you play...

Like you, I feel the game is much more enjoyable when everything we have has been found and not bought from other players. I've been playing self-found since the beginning of the open beta, maybe even sooner. The hardest maps (lvl 75+) and Atziri are only soft dreams for now. But it doesn't prevent me from enjoying making builds, leveling characters, playing with build-enabling uniques...
I've however managed, somehow (and thanks to a dedicated IIR and IIQ character), to get some nice items, not the best though, but I know some of them are reserved for future characters :)

With the Forsaken Masters extension, developers clearly helped self-found (and "casual") people. The new crafting options and map missions are really nice, while keeping the best mods on items extremely hard to find.

If there is something I would like to happen, is a buff of currency items. In Rampage league I'm currently out of augmentation orbs (thanks to strongboxes mostly), and I feel regals and exalts should drop more often...
Last edited by Shimaran on Aug 27, 2014, 10:16:37 AM
Very well written! Was a nice read :)

// A fellow self-finder since the start of open beta.
Something that's worth mentioning is that someone who plays fewer hours a day is going to have higher LV masters at a lower character LV if they take advantage of the daily quests.

I played self-found for a while, tried trading, was impressed at how much easier it was to get powerful via trading, but am now leaning back towards self-found again. As has been mentioned, trading for powerful gear is fun at first but ends up making the game feel kind of pointless. The masters definitely make self-found more viable, not just for crafting but also since you can buy gems off them.

As a self-found player, I can't express how pleased I was when an Ignomon dropped for me fairly early on. Oh and my first unique in Rampage was an Asenath's Mark, another solid early game idea.
It´s NOT a self-found game!
Trading is a major part of what the game is all about.

So STOP BITCHING FOR CHRIS SAKE!
zzZzzzZzzZz
As others have said, very interesting read. Thanks!

Have modem, will travel!

Silas' Gear & Gems: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/426367

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info