Diary of a Self-Found Player, Week 1 (long)

Hello, I'm some random guy and I'm a self-found player. I pretty much always have been, and while I've played PoE on and off since closed beta, I was quite unhappy with the game's progression model when playing self-found. I found that one hits the Wall of No Progress far too soon, and that the game's loot pacing was blatantly designed around frequent trading. I still think that's kind of the case, but the Forsaken Masters expansion, with its new item enchantment system and easier access to maps, may be what finally makes self-found play fully viable. I've decided to chronicle my experience each week, for the five people who might care.

Before, it was possible to beat merciless and get into mapping, even possible to get to level 90ish (or higher if one is unrealistically patient), but getting into the serious endgame was largely out of the question. One's map level tends to regress to a mean of about 73, and the really interesting uniques are so rare that the odds are overwhelmingly in favour of you never finding one, let alone the several specific ones that are required for most of the top builds. Serious crafting was also out of the question as the drop rate of high-end currency rules it out completely, and all in all, the real substance of PoE's endgame was outside the reach of self-found players up until Forsaken Masters.

Why self-found?
Spoiler

There's nothing objectively wrong with trading, but some of us (there are dozens!) find that trading defeats the purpose and tarnishes the experience in a game that is all about finding loot. It expedites you far too quickly to the point where you basically no longer find upgrades, and it puts you at the mercy of a rather barebones trading system and a volatile economy that takes a lot of time and work to keep up with.

There's something much more rewarding and pure about directly earning everything you've got. Obviously one has also earned the stuff with which one trades with others, but it's not the same. I feel much more in tune with the game itself when playing self-found than I do when trading (I have tried to play the game "normally"), and I enjoy being unfettered by concerns about the economy and how much more others have than me.

Also, self-found players find that trading gives them that same feeling you get when you enter cheat codes into a single-player game: it's briefly amusing to gain a bunch of power, but then you're shortly struck by that feeling of "why bother playing anymore?" In short, it ruins the purity of the ARPG experience and turns the whole thing into a trading simulator where you just farm for proverbial money with which to purchase things that other people found. It doesn't feel right to us.

Forsaken Masters & the Rampage League
Spoiler

Now, playing self-found hardcore is possible, but it's really not a very good idea. I tried once and I gave up rather quickly. I enjoy hardcore and played it almost exclusively in both D2 and post-Jay D3, and would enjoy it in PoE if it were more viable to play it without engaging in heavy trading, but it really isn't. It's like trying to sew with oven mitts on -- not technically impossible, but rather uphill to say the least. Besides, the game is not lacking in death penalty nor difficulty when playing self-found, even softcore. I wouldn't like softcore if I were a trading player, but I'm not. As such, when I returned to PoE for Forsaken Masters, I chose the Rampage League (also because the features of Beyond sounded horrible and seem to have turned out exactly as I predicted).

So with renewed faith in self-found mode thanks to the new crafting system, I embarked on my self-sufficient journey as soon as the patch hit. I knew that my build would need to fit the following criteria:

- Must not rely on any specific uniques or other overwhelmingly rare items
- Must fit suitably into a 5L and not miss out too much by not having a 6L
- Must feel complete at around 105 passive points
- Must have sufficient gear-independent defenses
- Must perform reasonably well with poor gear
- Should preferably be able to wear as many different types of gear as possible

This is the build I decided on. EB+AA+IR+MoM Flameblast Templar. I almost went witch but decided in the end that templar is a little better. Can't say that about many other builds, huh?

Why this build? Because it can wear any type of armour, has all of its defenses built into the passives, depends on no uniques, and so on. Basically, it fulfills all of the above criteria. A trading player probably wouldn't bother going all the way down to IR/MoM, but a self-found player has to design their build around the likelihood that they will never get, say, a Cloak of Defiance, or will be unable to conform to one classification of armour. Gotta be flexible. I even left it open to using either a 1h+shield or a staff. It can always be specialized later if I ever get a GG weapon.

DAY 1
Spoiler

Starting out is fairly easy. Everyone is pretty much self-found for the first day or two, barring the occasional traded skill gem or something. Without access to the latter, I knew I would have to find a Grace gem somewhere along the way, but everything else would be available from quests throughout the game. Day 1 was rather uneventful and ordinary. I reached level 40 or so and called it a night.. day... I sort of lost track of time.

DAY 2
Spoiler

After doing my shopping (including half a dozen Red Bull), I logged into PoE for my second day of self-found extravaganza. I was ready to do a heavy push, having a full day available (uni doesn't start again until next month). I plowed through cruel and merciless, finding remarkably little in the way of gear, and prepared to do Docks runs until I had obtained 5L of some kind... any kind.

When checking the shops every level, I can usually get one somewhere along the way from A3 normal, where they first become available, to the end of merciless. If not, farming Ledge/Fellshrine/Docks for half a day tends to do the trick. No such luck today, however, and I dragged myself to bed at level 69 or so.

DAY 3
Spoiler

In addition to craving a 5L, I was nearing Iron Reflexes and really wanted to find a Grace to go with it. Playing with <1000 armour is no fun. I farmed Docks all afternoon, well into level 72 or 73. Eventually I started doing a pile of level 66 maps, but still no trace of a 5L. Or Grace. I did find a 9% Flameblast, however, and stuck it in a red socket to level it up a bit in tandem with my own 4-linked one (Flameblast, Chance to Ignite, Elemental Proliferation, Fire Penetration).

Ugh, Flameblast is slow with +12% cast speed. Should I have gone witch? No. No! In the long term, 3x 4% cast speed is not good value, and if I ever wanted to get that, I've got access to it in two different places. Screw witches. They're overplayed, anyway.

Still no 5L. Still no Grace. Doing level 66-68 maps galore, but reflect is turning out to be more of an issue than I expected. I am using a ruby flask to defend myself against it, but sometimes you can't see the elemental reflect animation under certain enemy models, or if they're in water. Sometimes something runs in from off-screen just as you release your Flameblast. I died several times to one-shotting myself against reflect before resolving to simply pop a ruby flask each and every time I'm nuking an elite that I'm not 100% certain doesn't have reflect. It ends up working out, and since getting used to this, I haven't died to reflect once.

I'm finally getting to use the crafting system properly. It seems to take forever to level the masters, but I've stuck 50 life on a few of my items, and my scepter received a delightful +32% spell damage. Discovered to my dismay, after sticking 20 dex on an item temporarily (I thought), that you can't actually change or reroll an enchanted mod. I was sure I'd heard that you could. Note to self: don't craft until you're sure, and don't craft anything onto a really good item until you've leveled the associated master high enough to get the best tier of that mod. There has got to be something more than 12-17 flat energy shield.

Oh, I finally found a Grace just before logging off.

DAY 4 (holy shit!)
Spoiler

Desperation for a 5L is reaching unfathomable heights. a 4L Flameblast is no bueno, it's like a lifelong smoker blowing up a beach ball, you die a little inside at the ponderously slow expansion of that damned orange circle. Still using a 4L at level 80 is miserable. In my despair, I decide to fusing-spam a 6-socketed Vaal Regalia I found.

And after about 30 fusings, I stare dumbfoundedly at the first 6L I've ever owned.

Yeah. I 6-linked a Vaal Regalia in 30ish fusings. On day 4 of a new league. Playing self-found.

Proof: http://i.imgur.com/7qWxu1t.jpg (yes, my PC is made of driftwood and string)

I chaos-spam it up to about 400 ES and finally stick the point in MoM that was awaiting a bigger mana pool. Now, with about 600 unreserved after auras, MoM is finally viable. It's still not quite as much unreserved mana as I would like to have with MoM, but I had like 300 before which wasn't even worth considering going MoM with.

My other gear is still largely garbage. I have a level 41 spirit shield that I found in cruel, amazing at the time with its 55% spell damage and 60 life, but no longe that great. My other gear is just random crap that I have to wear for the resists; I'm just barely touching 75% in all three, and -40% chaos, which is quite rough. Dragged myself up to 3500 life, 4000 armour, and the combined defenses of AA+MoM. Finally feeling a little tanky. I go to bed at level 80, still not quite able to believe I just 6-linked a friggin' Vaal Regalia in a handful of fusings like some kind of streamer.

DAY 5
Spoiler

Having obtained my ludicrously lucky 6L, I decide it's time to get a 20% Flameblast and complete my link setup. The 9% one that I found is now the same level as the one I'd been using the whole time, I've found 5 GCPs along the way, and I've kept a bunch of superior gems to turn into more GCPs with the vendor recipe. I get it up to 17% and finally, throughout the day, to 20% thanks to a few lucky GCP drops and another vendoring of superior gems. I'm now rocking 20% Flameblast, Fire Penetration, Elemental Proliferation, Concentrated Effect, Spell Echo and Faster Casting. I'm also leveling an Increased Burning Damage in the background in order to turn that into a 20% one and maybe replacing Faster Casting with this, but I really like having a rapidly expanding Flameblast.

Breezing through maps. A few really shitty deaths (new Mervail in Graveyard is a bitch, and Sallazzang in Labyrinth insta-gibbed me completely). The exp from lower-level maps is practically non-existent now and I feel a little stuck at level 82 until I finally manage to build up a decent repertoire of level 72-74 maps and grind it out to 83.

My gear is starting to look a little more organized now. I've got ES pieces in all slots (except I still have that crappy spell damage shield) and my total mana pool is now a whopping 4000, with almost 800 unreserved -- my goal for MoM usage. Still sitting at a kind of unimpressive 3500 life, though, which I want to get to 4000 as well. Any more than this will require better gear as most of my pieces just have the 50ish that I could craft onto it. Found a very tidy onyx amulet with cast speed, spell damage, man regen and allres. Could only stick 26 life on it, but it's probably still going to be my amulet for a long time.

DAY 6
Spoiler

Today I'm going to get to 86, the initial 105-points goal of the build. Beyond that level, any further passives will just go into 5% life nodes which aren't particularly crucial to the concept. There's seven 5%ers available, though, so if I ever do get into the 90s, I'll probably be rocking 5k life. For now, my goal is a modest 4k.

Grinding. Grinding.

Grinding a game that pertains to gear(s). Every day I'm grindin'.

I notice that I've yet to find any really interesting uniques. This is one of those big issues that self-found players face. You can get decent rares, you can get a 5L (and, evidently, even a 6L if you're obscenely lucky), but the top uniques are often something you simply have to resign yourself to living without. I've filled two stash tabs with common, unexciting uniques. Did grab an Eye of Chayula, however, which - while not useful to me - is something I'll keep for what I plan to be a future CI character. I mean, I already have a 6L Vaal Regalia, right?

After a long and grueling grind - thank you Netflix for keeping me sane and awake - I finally get to level 86 and drag my ass to bed. I'm quite satisfied with where my character is now. Comfortably maxed resists, 3900 life, 950 unreserved mana, 4000 armour, and an astonishing clear speed thanks to a 6-linked 20% Flameblast and a build that is turning out very well indeed. I'm absolutely breezing through maps, even the level 72-74 ones.

Results so far:
http://i.imgur.com/MG4WAOg.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/QFxq9Q4.jpg

DAY 7
Spoiler

Today I need to level my masters. It's getting kind of critical. Most of them are level 5 and I think I'm missing out on the top tiers of craftable mods which, due to the apparent permanency of enchanting, leaves me unwilling to sully my good items with weaker mods. I've already put an underwhelming 26 life on my amulet and there really has got to be something better than that.

My goals for today are to level masters and upgrade gear. Leveling is no longer terribly important, although one is obviously always working towards it. I also want to set up my last auxiliary links, having so far neglected Immortal Call as I've been leveling it to 20 (nearly there) in order to reset it into a 20% one. Also finally found a second Spell Echo for my Enduring Cry, and I hope to find a Reduced Duration for my Lightning Warp.

Reflections after a week of self-found play in Forsaken Masters
Spoiler

I still haven't actually found a 5L armour. I check all shops from A3N onwards every single level, and have spotted a few mid-level 5L axes and two-handed swords there, but no actual armours. Luckily I've got my 6L, but that's obviously a complete fluke. Now, at this stage, I think I have enough jeweller's orbs to make up the 150 fusings it takes to craft a 5L, which by the way is a fabulous addition to the game, but it's still remarkable that a week of playing nearly every waking hour is not enough for me to find a 5L armour of any kind. If I have to be completely honest, I would probably have abandoned PoE yesterday in favour of D3 2.1 if I hadn't got that 6L or the option of crafting a 5L. That amount of time without finding what is generally considered largely necessary for any kind of advanced gameplay, as with so many other aspects of PoE's loot system, feels off.

The 5L recipe could probably be reduced to 100 fusings instead of 150, considering how much most builds depend on a 5L and how shitty it can be to not find one after 80+ hours. I think the goal should be about 50 hours tops for a 5L, considering the fact that this is easily 2+ weeks of play for anyone with ordinary playtimes. It's not really worth 150 fusings, anyway, given the lost opportunity of a 6L. Normally you'll find a 5L every few days at worst, but when you don't, I think the alternate option needs to equate to a bit less farming time than it does with 150 fusings.

The other gear is so-so. It's good enough for me and what I'm doing (still on low-70s maps) but not really anything special. I have 150ish ES on my gloves and helmet, I have some godawful boots that I just use for the 30% movement speed and 80 life on them, and I have the same scepter and shield I've used since cruel. Not much has changed regarding the quality of gear that one obtains playing self-found, and the reality is that PoE is so stingy with the loot that one must resign oneself to pauperhood if constant trading does not appeal. I'm alright with that, but I know a lot of people have left the game due to the stupendous rarity of great items.

Crafting has helped a moderate amount, but I still don't feel like I've really unlocked its potential as the masters level so slowly. Finding an item which has great stats except for that one stat it's missing, and actually has room for that stat to be enchanted onto it, is surprisingly rare. In 95% of cases, it hasn't got room for what you would want on it anyway.

Also, while the crafting system is at least in part a service to self-found players, the big issue for us is that it costs the same resource that you already use to make your gear. Alchs and chaos orbs are needed elsewhere -- I have to alch every pair of sorcerer's gloves/boots, every hubris circlet, every titanium spirit shield in hopes of getting upgrades. I have to chaos-spam my chest 20 times a day trying to land 600+ ES and at least one solid resist, something that has eluded me so far after about 50 chaos orbs. This new self-found feature is mutually exclusive with the main source of upgrades for self-found players. It would have been nice if crafting didn't cost the very same thing that I can spare the least.

Current gear
Spoiler

Last edited by engqvist85 on Aug 27, 2014, 11:29:13 AM
Color me impressed. I had the full intent to play SF in this league, and your more than decent gear makes me consider that fully viable. gz on the 6L, as well.
[3.22] 💀The Grim Reaper💀 - Hexblast Poison Mines Assassin
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3347191

[3.22] ❄️⚡CantripN's Hadoken! - Lightning Conduit / Crackling Lance / Arc Permafreeze⚡❄️
www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3229590
Special credit to Hegemony for pointing out that you're better off manually fusing a 6-socket armour than using the 150 fusings recipe to 5L it, due to the chance of getting a 6L. It sounds obvious, but if he hadn't pointed it out, I might not have thought about it and would probably just have saved up for the recipe instead of getting my 6L. Also, his stream is underrated and has often kept me awake throughout this self-found ordeal. Smart player, no cheesy gimmicks. And he raps.
Last edited by engqvist85 on Aug 27, 2014, 6:41:01 AM
That´s a very interesting read, indeed. I´m also playing self-found. Mostly because I don´t have the time to dive into trading as it would be necessary to a) understand what stuff is really worth (yes I know there´s poe.xyz) and because when I really have time to sit on my PC and play something (which is pretty limited anyway), I just want to play and not to find people to trade with / be online when they are online.

So I play self-found too. Always just as far as I can get and then probably roll a new character or use a passive reset like in the recent update to try to make an existing character better.

I probably achieve in 1 week what you did in one day, so there´s still a big difference. But your daily progress is very helpful and gives me a lot of insight of how other self-found players play and what the thoughts behind their play-style is. I´d be happy to read more stuff in that direction. Very interesting :-)
I played self-found in Domination, and it really caused me to hit a wall in the end game. In Ambush, I did only a little trading and it made for a much better experience. Now in Rampage, I also plan to do a smaller amount of trading, as sort of a compromise.

I do agree on the "tarnishing experience" bit, though that is of course subjective. When I am done with softcore (probably after Rampage), I'll play HC only, and that will be self-found. The difference is that it will be for the longer run, whereas these temporary leagues only run 3-4 months, which doesn't give me enough time for playing fully self-found and also doing end game content.

Selling something that you found and using the currency you get to buy what you want is, in a way, also self-found. ;) It's certainly how the game seems to be intended to be played.
"
engqvist85 wrote:
...and the really interesting uniques are so rare that the odds are overwhelmingly in favour of you never finding one, let alone the several specific ones that are required for most of the top builds.

So I typically play as much self found as possible, especially while leveling. In the end I do wind up selling gear, buying gear after I've gotten two or three toons into the 70s in a league. So I do know what self found is about and how it can be frustrating. I do agree with almost everything you said. Crafting is very prohibitive to the people that spend as much (or more) time in trade and XYZ as they do playing the game. I've always felt that and even with FM, it's still a bit too stringent. No, I don't want stuff handed to us on a platter, but three toons into 70s should yield a bit better results than it has. Give us a few exalts here and there. It won't ruin the economy one bit.

But in regards to what I quoted you. One of the biggest failings people attempting to play self found make is a comparison of their build, or a desire to have a "top" build based on any certain unique. Top build are that because they require top investment. You'll get them in self found, but only after an ENORMOUS effort of time. Not just mid 80s, we're talking mid 90s+. You can create a very viable build playing self found 100% of the time. You can create a "top" build playing self found about .01% of the time. There is no reason to base your success or failure of a build on how well others do. Make your own top build.
"like some kind of streamer"

Actually lol'd
Jul 27, 2011 - Sept 30, 2018.
"
Mivo wrote:
Selling something that you found and using the currency you get to buy what you want is, in a way, also self-found. ;) It's certainly how the game seems to be intended to be played.

a) It's not self found to do that. The moment you make a single trade, you are no longer SF. The only exception I would personally make is orb exchanges so that you can craft the gear you're looking for; even then, against the strictest terms of playing SF, that breaks the rules.
a cont). The moment you purchase an item, either via direct item trade or currency to items, you are 100% no longer SF.
b) Trading is definitely an intended aspect of the game.
Jul 27, 2011 - Sept 30, 2018.
Ambush was a good league for self-found gameplay. I made an incinerator with EB/AA/MoM and handled even some of the late map content like Megaera in crematorium. Now with some proper crafting it gets even better.

The only thing that kind of sucks was changing some uniques to map-only. Even after doing a ton of 72+ maps, the only time I found Divinarius and Rathpith Globe was back in open beta in Lunaris runs.
IGN: NNQQ, Sporkay, Rands_
Grats on your self-found character. Nicely built.

You've gotten further than I have while leveling my own self-found character in the Beyond league. I'm still in the mid-40s.
Now that prestige classes will finally leave lab in 4.0, will GGG get it right this time or will they find new ways to repeat old mistakes?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info