As exciting, rewarding and satisfying as Record of Lodoss War

I have yet to feel in an ARPG what I first felt when playing Record of Lodoss War for the Sega Dreamcast. I didn't think it possible to ever have another ARPG that touched on all the elements that make such a phenomenal ARPG. And it looks like patch 2.1 is going to be released today/tomorrow(?) for Diablo III, but I have been very spoiled with PoE and greatly committed to keeping its riches polished by playing and dying, dying and dying, and surviving. Hooray!!!

Have any of you also enjoyed Record of Lodoss War?
Me and a childhood friend played this so much at his place back then, awesome game.
Brings back some good memories :-)

Edit: Though I wouldn't say it's on par with its PC counterparts, not that it mattered to me back then.
Last edited by Victo on Aug 26, 2014, 12:19:12 PM
A MIGHTY SPELL

Dys an sohm
Rohs an kyn
Sahl djahs afah
Mah morn narr
One of my childhood favorite. We actually owned 3 Dreamcast consoles at some point.

The game is in my possession and it is really worth it. On this matter I have to particular disagree with Charan, the game has atmosphere. You often enough feel alone in a pretty brute and ruthless world and you really feel it. Every time I encountered living humanoid beings it almost always ended in sorrow. Decisions in dialog felt like they actually made a difference.

The game is linear in the same way as the old Gothic titles and the new Risen series is. You have the freedom to walk into your death and overpowered enemies. Or you go the right way and have an easier time. You are able to cheese your way through some overpowered regions early on, which gives you a great boost, which I loved about all similar structured games. Actually, the Souls games hold the same principal now that I think of it. I am glad that such titles are always getting produced.

I think I'll try to get the game emulated on my PC. Will be worth the hassle. :)

"
A MIGHTY SPELL

LOL

The dwarven smith was the best.
Last edited by Nightmare90 on Aug 27, 2014, 7:16:14 AM
"
Compared to the OVA. The game has atmosphere, just not the same.

I can see that.

Atmosphere can stem from many factors and feel different every time.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info