Discharge + Herald of Ice = Holocaust (for monsters and your gfx)

lolwut you want me to run poe with intel 4000 hd?
"
Dummy1334 wrote:
Dont suggest things you are not sure about. His videocard cant render it, not SSD, you lamer

Actually... dummy.... the suggestion was valid because sometimes the lockups are due to RESOURCE loading issues (transferring assets from HDD to RAM). In the case of a system without an SSD, an SSD can improve this performance quite a bit... perhaps not enough to fix this issue, but it was a perfectly valid suggestion.

It is OFTEN the case that users get temporary stutters and problems when they cast skills or encounter rare monsters because those assets aren't in RAM and need to be loaded... on a slow HDD, this can actually lock up PoE until the asset is there to be rendered. SSDs decrease the load time significantly and can fix that issue.
well I have 3 SSD's in RAID 0 config so that shouldnt be the issue....

I think GGG should rethink the herald of ice visual effect mechanic...

For me (with screen wipe AOE and max crit) its like casting a spell 50 times all at the same time (the herald procs) which I suppose would fry many graphics cards....

Fracture maps are even worse (they are the worst) its like 500 herald of ice novas all cast on the same frame....

anyway I think that is the issue.... too many effects trying to be rendered at the same time in this case the casting of the same spell 50-500 times all at once
"
Drakier wrote:
"
Dummy1334 wrote:
Dont suggest things you are not sure about. His videocard cant render it, not SSD, you lamer

Actually... dummy.... the suggestion was valid because sometimes the lockups are due to RESOURCE loading issues (transferring assets from HDD to RAM). In the case of a system without an SSD, an SSD can improve this performance quite a bit... perhaps not enough to fix this issue, but it was a perfectly valid suggestion.

It is OFTEN the case that users get temporary stutters and problems when they cast skills or encounter rare monsters because those assets aren't in RAM and need to be loaded... on a slow HDD, this can actually lock up PoE until the asset is there to be rendered. SSDs decrease the load time significantly and can fix that issue.

Nope, this isnt a problem. Cause when you are killing mobs, textures are already loaded in RAM. He have lags in actual game, not in loading. If you dont believe me, you can install POE on your RAM (if u have 8-16 GB) and check it, it will not decrease lags...
"
Dummy1334 wrote:
"
Drakier wrote:
"
Dummy1334 wrote:

Nope, this isnt a problem. Cause when you are killing mobs, textures are already loaded in RAM. He have lags in actual game, not in loading. If you dont believe me, you can install POE on your RAM (if u have 8-16 GB) and check it, it will not decrease lags...

No, it is a valid suggestion. PoE's engine does not load assets like most games. It relies heavily on preloading, however, not everything is preloaded on map load to keep load times acceptable.

This is why, when people switch to SSDs they have been reporting way less stuttering - The assets are loaded into RAM much faster.

If you want to make an experiment, run PoE with the --nopreload extension. Without preloading, any action you take will severely freeze your computer on slow HDDs.
"
"
"

No, it is a valid suggestion. PoE's engine does not load assets like most games. It relies heavily on preloading, however, not everything is preloaded on map load to keep load times acceptable.

This is why, when people switch to SSDs they have been reporting way less stuttering - The assets are loaded into RAM much faster.

If you want to make an experiment, run PoE with the --nopreload extension. Without preloading, any action you take will severely freeze your computer on slow HDDs.

It will freeze only once cause POE is not deleting all assets just after usage. And no other games does cause this is stupid. His spell is lagging all time. Or do you think that devs made game that reload EVERY spell on EACH cast from HDD?
Last edited by Eugen on Aug 29, 2014, 12:24:16 PM
It seems there's a lot of confusion and mis-information going on here.

Loading assets does NOT all happen at the "loading" screen. Only some assets are loaded then. There are quite a few (like most spell effects) that are NOT loaded at that time.

Loading assets takes time... the faster the access speed between the storage bus and the RAM bus, the faster the loading times will be. On a slower bus, you will get noticeably more stutters and temporary freezes. This is why people use SSDs... not only does it decrease the initial load time into the game, AND the load time between zones, but it also decreases the frame stutters when it needs to load an asset that isn't already pre-loaded (like a rare mob with effects).

As was suggested, you can test this all out for yourself. Enable the --nopreload and let your PC lock up every time it needs to load an asset. I guarantee that unless you have an SSD or RAMDisk, you'll quickly disable the --nopreload because it will get you killed.

In addition to all of these things, GGG uses a "garbage collection" system to determine when resources should be released from the RAM. They do NOT stay around forever. They have a set number of "generations" to live. On a schedule, the GC system comes through and removes everything at the current release generation. When an asset is used, it is moved to a new generation. This means that it only releases things that are hopefully not being used... but the next time you encounter this, it will have to re-load it into RAM from HDD.

Hopefully that clears up all confusion. If you want to improve performance, use an SSD or RAMDisk. Simple as that. It might not be the ONLY thing causing an issue, but it can certainly be ONE of the things causing an issue with frame stutters.
ok guys even if its preloading... I use SSD's so it shouldnt be one for me

I seriously think its just the sheer number of spell effects being triggered all at once

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info