Daggers.. #1 in dps... #1 in crit... #1 in passive tree... am I missing something?

"
Insomniask wrote:
"
wooli wrote:

Back before spectral throw, before reave, before melee splash and cyclone, daggers still had superiority in terms of potential dps, but had slow clear speed due to lack of aoe. Not surprisingly, shadow was one of the least played characters back then.

After many complaints and feedback, they offered more aoe options for daggers. But forgot to balance their dps back.

So we are now where we are with daggers.

You absolutely nailed it.

Imo daggers should be slightly nerfed, and 2h weapons buffed by a good amount. Dual wield is fine. It baffles me that a few years have passed and GGG still isnt able to balance those 3 out..2h Weapons are so shit right now.

Shadow in general has access to almost every crit node there is, even the marauder/templar 1h crit nodes are not far for shadow. If those nodes were meant for only non dagger melee weapons, I think it would help a good bit with lowering the dps of daggers some.

And again to anyone who sees this thread as "whining". My characters I play are fine. One character I have has near 300k dps with self buffs. I did not make this thread to say I was my personal characters better. I made this thread just to point out the obvious that daggers are very lopsided in how much better they are than other weapons. I believe in balance and when you have 1 handers easily out damaging 2 handers, theres a problem.

The vision for melee in PoE was 2 handers have the best dps, dual wield second, 1 handers+shield last. This vision is not accurate by today's standards due to daggers.
Daggers always had the crit and highest damage output. It was fine and no problems. It was perfectly fine as they lacked aoe which was in itself a nerf to the damage, some people were using flickerstrike with it but that was about it. With 1.0.0 2 new gems were released;

-Reave allowed people to get some aoe, however it is perfecly fine in my opinion, and the aoe buff that came last patch was good for it. They get their aoe and everyone was happy, never heard any complaints about this.

-Spectral throw was introduced and could be used with all weapons(or close to all) and allowed dagger users to get an insane range and be pretty much like a ranger. This is from my experience what people complain about regarding daggers, maybe they should restrict daggers from the skill?

On a side not, please tune down flickerstrike in PvP HLD, it's just nuts when a crit will 1shot 12 000HP
It's hard to remember what you have forgotten
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Why are police looking for missing people? None of them were missing last time I saw them
Very interesting stuff they did with the masters, there's no real argument any more that daggers are the "more expensive" weapon anymore with the master crafts ->

This one has 304, was created with 10 alts, a regal and a divine + alchs/chaos for crafts. All in all, what used to be a 30-40 exalt item just cost me 15 chaos.

Personally, this doesn't affect me since I'm pure elemental but I thought it was a very interesting exercise to try it out.
IGN: Chundaziri
8/8 Ambush/Invasion Complete - 21/06/2014
8/8 Warbands/Tempest Complete - 10/08/2015
Last edited by Chundadragon on Sep 15, 2014, 8:36:09 PM
@Chunda That still requires level 8 masters which are are purposefully very powerful but not easily achievable at all. It's balanced around players going into temporary leagues.
But there is new agrument -> wands are better :) Higher crit, better clear speed, what you need more.
"
Chundadragon wrote:
Very interesting stuff they did with the masters, there's no real argument any more that daggers are the "more expensive" weapon anymore with the master crafts ->

This one has 304, was created with 10 alts, a regal and a divine + alchs/chaos for crafts. All in all, what used to be a 30-40 exalt item just cost me 15 chaos.

Personally, this doesn't affect me since I'm pure elemental but I thought it was a very interesting exercise to try it out.

the fact you can make a good dagger cheap doesn't really change anything.... you just said you made it for 15c . Being that your dagger is 304 dps, you would need 450dps 1h axe/mace/sword (around 80ex+) just to be competitive. Again, thats where the disconnect is. Daggers are cheaper and far superior.

This debate isn't about wands vs. melee or melee vs. spellcast. It's melee weapons specifically and how out of balance they are.
well to be fair level 8 masters kind of take primary balancer for daggar builds in this thread and kind of take a ripe dump on them.

and people wonder why all that anyone does these days is farm masters.
"
Chundadragon wrote:
"
Tygerwoody wrote:
I know a lot of people point out the reflect aspect of high dps with daggers.... You don't have to put every skill point you have in dps you know. With daggers, because its so easy to get dps, you can focus your gear and passive tree more towards defense. Meanwhile, mace/sword/axe are trying hard to get dps and have to sacrifice defense.

Daggers/Shadow really just have it all when it comes to melee. Crit, Life Leech, Highest life pool(ES), ES leech. Everything. Blows my mind things like life leech were moved from the marauder tree to the shadow tree when shadow are far beyond buffed as is without it.

Hope this is a troll because it shows a very high lack of game knowledge.

It is not "very easy" to to get dps, you need to take pretty much every crit node in sight on the right hand of the tree for an efficient dagger build unless you feel like going in dry with 40% crit chance and crossing your fingers for crits. It's honestly exactly the same number of points as a 1h RT build spends on DPS.

Neither is it possible for a dagger build to achieve anywhere near the amount of HP a left-hand side build can get. So that leaves us with Acrobatics vs more life basically.

And I can't believe that people still haven't realised that the life leech wasn't actually removed from the marauder tree. With master crafts with life leech on them, this isn't even a factor.

I have zero interest in getting into another debate because I'm bored to shit of this but please do review the facts, thanks! Half of this thread is quite good and the other half is just butthurt mixed with retard.

With the incredibly high base crit that daggers have? What you said would be true if you did a crit sword/ other melee build, or a crit spell build. You take up all the crit nodes and end up with barely 40% with 6 power charges up. But daggers? Get real bro.

You can literally go bare minimum on crit nodes and end up much further ahead than other builds. Not to say that after that, scaling becomes that much more easier.
"
Cataca wrote:
With the incredibly high base crit that daggers have?

So let's say my dagger has 8.5% base crit, I'd need around 700% extra crit chance to bring myself to 70% - the minimum acceptable point in my opinion.

Dagger supplies a lil, power charges supply a lil, gear a lil, after that I'd still need an extra 3-400% from the tree.

You can absolutely NOT go bare minimum. Stop with the notion that simply because dagger do shitloads of DPS huehuehueuhue you can spend like 5 points on it. Read what Kasub wrote, read what I wrote.
IGN: Chundaziri
8/8 Ambush/Invasion Complete - 21/06/2014
8/8 Warbands/Tempest Complete - 10/08/2015
Last edited by Chundadragon on Sep 16, 2014, 12:59:33 PM
"
Tygerwoody wrote:
"
Chundadragon wrote:

the fact you can make a good dagger cheap doesn't really change anything.... you just said you made it for 15c . Being that your dagger is 304 dps, you would need 450dps 1h axe/mace/sword (around 80ex+) just to be competitive. Again, thats where the disconnect is. Daggers are cheaper and far superior.

This debate isn't about wands vs. melee or melee vs. spellcast. It's melee weapons specifically and how out of balance they are.

So I wasted 1-2ex alts on ambusher and just got way weaker daggers
You had some serious luck with that regal!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info