Daggers.. #1 in dps... #1 in crit... #1 in passive tree... am I missing something?

I've been playing this game 3 years... and I've always wondered. Why daggers are by far the best in the game for nearly *everything*. I was thinking about it, and it really is massive how far ahead daggers are ahead from everything else.

#1 in dps. Beating out all 1h weapons AND 2 hand weapons. With access to a shield.
#1 in crit chance and crit multiplier
#1 in passive tree. Theres no weapon on the passive tree that has more of a catering than daggers and its not even close. And to top it off, lets add poison to one of your nodes, just because.
Shadow tree(daggers) now has access to all three mana leech, life leech, and ghost reaver.
No Vaal Pact right beside you? No Problem. Since you crit nearly every hit, we'll give you some Acuity gloves that give you a full leech instead of 40%.
Shadow tree right beside CI, capable of 15k+ Energy shield VERY easily
Access to the best death avoidance skill in Whirling blades(yes, this goes on the list. whirling blades is 10x better than leap slam for death avoidance)
Very cheap to build in comparison to all other weapon types.

The question isn't if daggers are overpowered. Its why. When 1.2 was releasing, there were many rumors that daggers were being nerfed because they were easily out damaging 2 handers. Now the patch has released, and those dagger builds that were once doing 250,000dps are now doing 350,000 dps.

I realize we are talking about a mirrored dagger that is capable of doing that. But if you put it in comparison to a 2 hand mirrored sword or axe. What are they doing, 180k dps? And with no access to a shield.

In the past, 2 hand weapons were good because they allowed you to use a 1000 life Kaom's(pre legacy days). Then they nerfed kaom's to be unattainable... then they nerfed Kaom's again with the 1.2 "life" patch. Why do I need a 6L weapon if I am likely going to have a 6L chest? The only reason I would give up a 6L chest is to have a Legacy pre 1.2 1000 Kaom's. Thats it. And let me say. I do think 1.2 is in the right direction as far as life goes. The improvements to flasks are great. But theres no disputing that there's zero reason to play a 2 hander these days. Or anything besides a dagger build if you're melee.

So there's my rant. I've been playing this game for 3 years. I've seen a lot. I've donated over $300. The catering towards daggers just makes me shake my head. I'm hoping someone from GGG will respond to clear this up. What reason does anyone have at all to play a 2 hand build? Or an 1h axe... or sword... or mace....

Path of Daggers

Low-life ST dagger is still #1 DPS in-game. Still one of the only builds that can safely handle Uber Atziri. Surprise surprise :)
✮ in-game @FTMFW
✮ twitch.tv/RRTSON
✮ [Shop] http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/909223
✮ [Build of the Week] http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1034503
Last edited by rrtson on Aug 24, 2014, 11:39:35 PM
If on-weapon flat damage affixes were normalized to AS the difference wouldn't be anywhere near as great.
IGN - PlutoChthon, Talvathir
"
Tygerwoody wrote:
Daggers.. #1 in dps... #1 in crit... #1 in passive tree... am I missing something?

Every one who play longer 2H know that, its not a secret for no one, whats point create #99999999 thread about it?
You really think ggg will read ur msg and change something? Huh?

Me and 100% of community know that long long ago, who cares? Well, in true everyone but not ggg or Chris or Mark.

Oh and i like mistery ninja nerf item level, most items that was 80 ilvl now 79, most 79 now 78 and etc.

About mistery ES/ARM/EVA nerf you know w.o me.
Couldn't agree more, was surprised they didn't see a need to adjust things regarding path of daggers. But what can you do.
IGN - Xukai

Mirror Service - /1046531
I agree 2 handers are in a bad place still , or is it daggers are in to good a spot ?

And that's coming from some 1 who has used 2 hannders alot axe / mace , hell iv even used staffs for long pierods of time.

IDK why they keep daggers so high on the pecking order , the fact you get a shild with MORE ( alot more ) DPS just makes no sence at all.

The part that really gets me is gearing a dagger character for "ok" damage is easy as hell. You can out DPS a 50 Ex 2 hander axe build with 2 ex worth of dagger gear ? WTF

I wish they would bump up 2 handers alot , are they scared about peple having 2 6 links ?> IDK
Just a sec let me grab a beer...@#*@ Ok how did I die this time

Learn the rules, it's the only way to exploit them.
Yay!!Here comes legacy dagggers and nerf hammer to all dagger builds!
Why can't we just buff 2 handers ? i have no problem with dagger being the gods of crit .. that makes perfect sence , just give us 2 handers that do damage that can keep up.

I will say that , yes having 2 6 links is VERY nice it's just not as nice as having 1 dagger skill that 1 shots evreything .

Just a sec let me grab a beer...@#*@ Ok how did I die this time

Learn the rules, it's the only way to exploit them.
"
choopk1993 wrote:
Yay!!Here comes legacy dagggers and nerf hammer to all dagger builds!

Add damage effectiveness to weapons, can be done as non-legacy with a little finaggling.

And nobody asked for the nerf hammer. Something a bit closer to understandable would be nice. Like being limited to single target attacks again.

Edit: FYI daggers are friggin' terrible combat weapons in largescale combat. They're also TERRIBLE at hurting people unless you get the drop on them. Daggers should be crit weapons with ridiculous crit multiplier rather than crit chance, and they should be slower than other one handed weapons. Flailing madly with a dagger isn't effective at all.

But somewhere along the line daggers became "fast" weapons. I have no idea where that started, but it's ruined daggers in aRPGs ever since. Rather than being the methodical weapon that they should be they become the APS spam weapon.
IGN - PlutoChthon, Talvathir
Last edited by Autocthon on Aug 25, 2014, 12:02:56 AM
Daggers should have a huge damage penalty when thrown. Theyre so light they get slown down by the air.

My idea is : daggers can't crit when thrown. Problem solved. You want big damage with your mirrored dagger? Go melee. As simple as that.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info