Herald of Ash - Core for a new build?

Hello guys and girls!

This is not an actual build, but an idea for something new. I want to ask you all for some advice to maybe help me create a build for everyone. Here are some details:

When i tested out the Herald of Ash gem, I saw that the skill was more powerful then it seems for the first look. The idea behind it is: To use a single-target attack that concentrates on pure power on one hit and to combine that with Herald of Ash, which deals burning damage to surrounding enemys, so that we gain an aoe from it. I tested it out and it was quite impressive. You mostly have very low attack speed and optimal phys. Damage on a weapon, the best one for this build seems to be Marohi Erqi, because it has A LOT of damage on low attack speed AND the passive that every skill gem in that weapon is connected to an inc. AOE gem lvl 15.

Pros

Spoiler

-Decend amount of life +192% on full tree
-Resolute Tech and Unwavering Stance
-High Armour +156% inc.
-You dont really need extra life steal when you have the 3% from the tree
-No real mana problems since you only need a 3L for your main skill
-Burn!
-Pretty cheap, the Marohi is the only real big thing actually
-High damage single target skill with extra Aoe.
-No 5L/6L needed
-6,3% life regen

Cons

Spoiler

-I didnt really tested it out + leveling from the beginning, i dont really know much about it in detail
-2-handed (no shield)
-its a lvl 99 tree for full effect
-if someone is burned, you can not stack/renew the burn
-Slow attack animation
-No defensive Auras

Passive skill tree

Core Gems

Spoiler

4L/5L on Marohi: Herald of Ash, Inc. Bruning Damage, Ele. prof., Red. Mana, (Hatred)
3L-6L: Heavy Strike, Phys. Melee Dmg., Added Fire, (Culling Strike), (Faster Attacks), etc. (you can switch out Heavy Strike for Infernal Blow if you like, it does have less Damage but an extra aoe)
Curse: Ele. weakness for Aoe., Vulnerability for Single Target

I tried it out and i one-shotted every mob and two shotted every rare mob, the Aoe. burn is also very strong to finish off the other mobs. You can move with leap slam or lightning warp (you wont be that fast with leap slam). The aoe is also VERY large when you have the marohi.
I tried my "build" out at a 72 map with my 87 Marauder and it was no problem at all.

Edit: Since we use fire damage and dont need any 5/6L, a Kaom's Heart could be very usefull for these rich folks out there.

Now i ask everyone else, which items should be definetly in there?
Is this build good enough to really play into Atziri etc.?
Are there any other Synergys or paths you can go on the passive skill tree?

I would appreciate every help to create a fun new build :)

PS.: I am sorry if I write in bad English, im a German.
Last edited by Sefrot on Aug 24, 2014, 5:40:50 AM
I'm running it without support gems, which makes it a little unreliable, but it deals significant damage on crit overkills to surrounding mobs while levelling, even if you don't build around it.

So this...
a) is build-enabling
or...
b) will get a serious nerf. The damage is really ridiculous. ;)

3.5 build: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2299519
Well with the supports and the right build i guess this would be op. When i tested it out with improvised gear the burn killed blue packs in a second and everyone else on the screen :)
"
4L/5L on Marohi: Herald of Ash, Inc. Bruning Damage, Ele. prof., Red. Mana, (Hatred)

Just so you know, Herald of Ash is an aura, so linking it with Increased Burning Damage and Elemental Proliferation does nothing. You'd have to link those stuff to your Heavy Strike if you'd want those buffs.
Cheers!
"
reflexii wrote:
"

Just so you know, Herald of Ash is an aura, so linking it with Increased Burning Damage and Elemental Proliferation does nothing. You'd have to link those stuff to your Heavy Strike if you'd want those buffs.

HoA isn't an aura.

Source: http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Herald_of_Ash

"Keywords: Fire, Spell, AoE"

---

Also, it works with Ele Prolif.

Source: http://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/2eafyj/herald_of_ash_can_be_supported_by_elemental/

---

As for IBD I can't say. I don't have both of the gems to test myself and I don't know of any proof I can provide to show it does/doesn't work.
When you link HoA with IBD it definately states the additional burning in the tooltip, so I suppose it works.
IGN (Standard): UberFukker
IGN (Essence): Talamoanator

"The track of your life has come to me, and it goes no further. I am your end, your utter obliteration!"
- Cnaiür urs Skiotha
"
reflexii wrote:
"

As already stated it isnt an aura, its a selfbuff that can be modified with support gems. And all of these gems (inc. aoe, burning dmg., ele. prof.) do work and also increase the mana that is reserved. i used a lvl 20 red mana gem and it reserved with the marohi 45% as i remember.
First thing that stuck me is that this is a probably an OP mechanic indeed.

Can you make a short video?

I'm not sure it will work well with Infernal blow since exploded minions can't prolif. Also I'm not sure if the explosion damage counts towards the overkill from herald of ash. It should be tested.

Maybe this mechanic will work for a Facebreaker build too.

edit: tried it with lvl 31 char with a facebreaker

had herald of ash + prolif + inc burn damage and used infernal blow (without splash). From what I could observe the explosion from infernal blow did not interfere at all with the prolif. Nice thing is that both herald of ash and infernal blow benefit from the AoE increases on the tree.
Last edited by gatekeepr on Aug 28, 2014, 9:34:25 AM
"
gatekeepr wrote:
First thing that stuck me is that this is a probably an OP mechanic indeed.

Can you make a short video?

I'm not sure it will work well with Infernal blow since exploded minions can't prolif. Also I'm not sure if the explosion damage counts towards the overkill from herald of ash. It should be tested.

Maybe this mechanic will work for a Facebreaker build too.

edit: tried it with lvl 31 char with a facebreaker

had herald of ash + prolif + inc burn damage and used infernal blow (without splash). From what I could observe the explosion from infernal blow did not interfere at all with the prolif. Nice thing is that both herald of ash and infernal blow benefit from the AoE increases on the tree.
It is.

You dont need proliferation for this ability in my opinion, itd probably benefit better from increased AOE.

Crit build with a good amount of AOE, maybe something like a Heavy Strike or Flicker Crit build, instantly melt all targets in the radius.

Its quite literally a free max level/max quality flame blast if you have good DPS (I cant even imagine the insanity of using it on a crit build)
Harvest sucks! But look at my decked out gear two weeks in!

Labyrinth salt farm miner.

"But my build diversity" , "Game is too hard!" - Meta drone playing the same 1-3 builds for years.
Hey I just found a Marohi Erqi yesterday and accidentally 5 linked it (5 jewelers 3 fusings.. ):

Have you further refined this build?

I took some inspiration from the kaom's Herald of Ash build of the week. So I want to use pyre and hatred as well.

I'm just not sure if I can run a 5/6 linked herald of ash and hatred :)

I thought I would run Heavy Strike - Added Fire - Meele Physical - Weapon Elemental - blood magic (I don't think I can sustain it with mana) for maximum alpha damage.
Last edited by GregorEisenh0rn on Sep 23, 2014, 6:20:08 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info