Need advice on Elreon missions..

So.. I found out today that cleave really won't work on these missions as I have failed two of the encounters I've had with him today. The main issue is that I'm melee and cleave doesn't really have the best area coverage out there and to add on top of that the monsters that spawn are as follows: Necro/Raging Spirits, Skeleton Archers and Suicide bomber mobs.

I just don't know how to deal with this without getting overwhelmed, I can cover one side but there's like 4 other portals where monsters spawn from, staying in the middle doesn't help either since there are a shit ton of ranged mobs surrounding the area.

The most annoying part is that I got everyone to level 3 except Elreon(who is level 1) and Vorici(this guy I can understand since I've only encountered him once today) and Elreon is one of the masters I'm planning to keep in my hideout. Any tips would be appreciated.
"
So.. I found out today that cleave really won't work on these missions as I have failed two of the encounters I've had with him today. The main issue is that I'm melee and cleave doesn't really have the best area coverage out there and to add on top of that the monsters that spawn are as follows: Necro/Raging Spirits, Skeleton Archers and Suicide bomber mobs.

I just don't know how to deal with this without getting overwhelmed, I can cover one side but there's like 4 other portals where monsters spawn from, staying in the middle doesn't help either since there are a shit ton of ranged mobs surrounding the area.

The most annoying part is that I got everyone to level 3 except Elreon(who is level 1) and Vorici(this guy I can understand since I've only encountered him once today) and Elreon is one of the masters I'm planning to keep in my hideout. Any tips would be appreciated.

You need to keep enemies away from the relics, or whatever they're called. I don't remember.

Shockwave Totem is a good way to push enemies back.

Summon Skeletons + Spell Totem is a good way to distract enemies.

Flame Totem + GMP + Knockback is a good way to push enemies back while damaging them.

Searing Bond is a good way to deal a lot of damage in a fairly acceptable "AOE".

Switching your attack with Dominating Blow can end up in a steamroller, probably making it easier after you get a few kills.

Punishment is a good way to prevent melee enemies from killing the relics.

Freeze Mine + Ele Prolif is a good way to stop most enemies.

Take your pick. Most should work easily for you.
Thanks for the list of setups, I'll try to go for the cheapest option since I'm a bit poor in Rampage still.. and I read somewhere that there was a bug fix regarding the Necromancers so that probably played a part in it as well. Thanks again! will give some of these a go!
The first few I did went okay, but after that have failed every one. Seems I can't kill them fast enough.
Tell you the truth, I had trouble with them at the beginning, while levelling a fresh solo melee char. However, since they spread out enemy waves more evenly it became much easier and I never failed any of them again, they possibly increased relic health too.

A solo ranged build has it easier but melees can use a few tricks that make his missions more pleasant, as luck would have it, my char regularly uses conversion traps and decoy totem and both of those do wonders in slowing down enemy waves and grouping them to be dispatched more conveniently.
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►
You need high localised aoe damage which can be spammed. Having very high APS/CPS allows you to cut through swaths of unstable mobs. Having localised damage allows you to kill necros easily.

Decoy totem works wonders here, since they will cause the mobs to bunch up like retards, allowing you to dispatch them easily. I'm not sure about other totems. If using a decoy totem, destroy ranged monsters first then destroy clumped packs of melee creatures.

I theorised, but don't know if it works, that flameblast totems should be very effective here. Just put some increased AoE, and you have a self-detonating totem when mobs start whacking it. Should give you a lot of breathing room.

As somebody has mentioned, conversion traps also help a lot. You could also try GMP Flame Totem with knockback OR chance to flee, then deal with ranged mobs only. I don't really like the idea of shockwave totem but I have not used them, so I cannot comment on its effectiveness.

Or get a friendly Necromancer build on standby for these missions. Or vaal skeletons. Or vaal skeletons with echo.

Btw, when feeding souls to relics, DO NOT KILL NECROS as raging spirits count towards the soul count. So if you get spammed with tons of raging spirits that you can kill easily, it will make the mission very easy.
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1394759 - Suggestion for beginner tutorial.
"
Exialis wrote:
Or vaal skeletons with echo.

This would probably be clear enough after one use, but just to save folks the trouble: total skeleton number is the same as number of skeletons you summon so echo won't help, the spell does repeat but skeletons from the second wave will just replace those from the first one.
Wish the armchair developers would go back to developing armchairs.

◄[www.moddb.com/mods/balancedux]►
◄[www.moddb.com/mods/one-vision1]►
Last edited by raics on Sep 22, 2014, 3:36:45 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info